Beer bellies just a myth!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sigafoos

Reaction score
Bobak M, Skodova Z, & Marmot M. (2003). Beer and obesity: a cross-sectional study. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition 57(10): 1250-3.

Abstract:
OBJECTIVE: There is a common notion that beer drinkers are, on average, more 'obese' than either nondrinkers or drinkers of wine or spirits. This is reflected, for example, by the expression 'beer belly'. However, the few studies on the association between consumption of beer and abdominal obesity produced inconsistent results. We examined the relation between beer intake and waist-hip ratio (WHR) and body mass index (BMI) in a beer-drinking population. DESIGN: A cross-sectional study. SETTINGS: General population of six districts of the Czech Republic. SUBJECTS: A random sample of 1141 men and 1212 women aged 25-64 y (response rate 76%) completed a questionnaire and underwent a short examination in a clinic. Intake of beer, wine and spirits during a typical week, frequency of drinking, and a number of other factors were measured by a questionnaire. The present analyses are based on 891 men and 1098 women who where either nondrinkers or 'exclusive' beer drinkers (ie they did not drink any wine or spirits in a typical week). RESULTS: The mean weekly beer intake was 3.1 l in men and 0.3 l in women. In men, beer intake was positively related to WHR in age-adjusted analyses, but the association was attenuated and became nonsignificant after controlling for other risk factors. There appeared to be an interaction with smoking: the relation between beer intake and WHR was seen only among nonsmokers. Beer intake was not related to BMI in men. In women, beer intake was not related to WHR, but there was a weak inverse association with BMI. CONCLUSION: It is unlikely that beer intake is associated with a largely increased WHR or BMI.

Link to the article in PubMed

My favorite part of the study is when they say "so yeah beer drinking men are more likely to be obese but we found ways to make that not count" :D

So, next time anyone ever says "well doesn't that make you fat?" just say "not according to the Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, International Centre for Health and Society, University College of London!"

calories in, calories out. Beer has calories, food has calories. Adjust accordingly and/or workout. I love how some use 'beer belly' as a scientific term and as proof that beer makes you fat.

Everyone is different.

If I didn't consume 4-5 pints of homebrew a night, I'd probably blow away. We are who we are.
KaylenDad_Florida_06.jpg

BierMuncher said:
There is a down side. One IPA and I'm toast.

I gotta brew everything at 4-4.5% and that precludes a lot of flavors.

You are the definition of a light weight... lol...

Ye doth sucketh... but like you said there's a upside to having a 'beer' belly, i can drink 3 of my Weizenbocks before i feel a wee bit tipsy....

sudsmonkey said:
Man! Mrs. Biermuncher looks kinda young! Don't know how you guys do it in St Louis, but here in NC you'd have to prove that you were related to her first.
LOL.

I can laugh cuz it's kinda crude guy humor. I'll not share the jokewith my thirteen year old though....

Bobak M, Skodova Z, & Marmot M. (2003). Beer and obesity: a cross-sectional study. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition 57(10): 1250-3.

So, next time anyone ever says "well doesn't that make you fat?" just say "not according to the Department of Epidemiology and Public Health, International Centre for Health and Society, University College of London!"

I took your advice. :D But it just came out "SHUT UP!" :(

I've seen quite a few threads on drinking beer and being overweight since the new year. I think some people are trying to get around their resolutions! lol

i have a couple problems with this study. one its done in the Czech Republic. these people aren't internationally know for being fat. two the average beer intake for men was slightly over 3 beers a week. i don't know about everyone else but i typically associate beer bellies with moderate to heavy drinkers that get little to no exercise. at 3 beers a week that can dearly be considered a light drinker.

considering that beer has empty calories ranging from somewhere around 100 to 300+ per 12 oz bottle. it only takes 5000 unburned calories to gain 1 lb. of weight. combine this with little to no exercise over several years this can add up to quite a number and weight gain. there is also the fact that during sources of the liver the liver swells pushing out the surrounding tissue resulting in what could be called a beer gut.

in short i think this study needs a larger sample size in multiple countries.

Tipsy, I think the point of the study wasn't to show that beer won't make you fat, but that it won't force a concentratoion of fat build up around you mid section, thus causing a beer belly. If you drink in excess and gain weight, you'll simply do it as though you ate too many Twinkies and bacon sandwiches.

No Gremlyn, I think the study really is meant to discover if there is a link between obesity and beer intake. I don't think Tipsy's concerns are valid though, since the point of the study was to show a link to obesity. You would expect that people that drink more, or even significantly more than the average, would be more overweight, and they found that not to be the case. Over 2000 people is more than enough to come up with significant results. It might be interesting to see this kind of study done in multiple countries, but I'm pretty certain the results will be the same.

Beer has a lot of carbs like in pastas, bread, cereals and it takes a longer effort to eliminate the calories provided by these types of food.

"the relation between beer intake and WHR was seen only among nonsmokers."

So the conclusion is that I should also start smoking, and then I don't have to worry about it. Am I reading this correctly? :tank:

No Gremlyn, I think the study really is meant to discover if there is a link between obesity and beer intake. I don't think Tipsy's concerns are valid though, since the point of the study was to show a link to obesity. You would expect that people that drink more, or even significantly more than the average, would be more overweight, and they found that not to be the case. Over 2000 people is more than enough to come up with significant results. It might be interesting to see this kind of study done in multiple countries, but I'm pretty certain the results will be the same.

It specifically references abdominal fat and uses waist to hip ratio as a major parameter in the study, so they definitely are looking at the 'beer belly' and not just general obesity. All they found was that when controlling for other risk factors for being fat, drinking did not significantly increase the likely hood of having a larger WHR or overall fattiness.

Beer has a lot of carbs like in pastas, bread, cereals and it takes a longer effort to eliminate the calories provided by these types of food.

Yeah, no... that's not true at all. Carbs are actually the fastest buring of the three (fat and protein being the other two). Your diet, according the the majority of nutrition experts, should be 60% carbs. They're only bad when you eat in excess as they are converted to fat instead of being burned off or being stored as glycogen in your muscles. Know before you post! I'm so sick of the fad-diet propaganda bull**** that carbs are bad for you. CARBS ARE WHAT GIVE YOU ENERGY TO PERFORM YOUR DAILY TASKS. (your brain needs 125g or carbs per day for normal function and will only use the ketones created from low/no carb diets as a last resort - basically an emergency last resort).

Not so, most of the calories in beer are due to the alcohol. Carbs are around 25% of the total.

Yeah it's funny how alcohol has never made it onto the "Nutritional Information" grid.

2 grams of carbs in a Bud Ultra and yet it has ~100 calories? Where do people think those other 92 calories come from anyway?

Yeah it's funny how alcohol has never made it onto the "Nutritional Information" grid.

2 grams of carbs in a Bud Ultra and yet it has ~100 calories? Where do people think those other 92 calories come from anyway?

Water, it's about 7.6 cal/fl oz. DUH...

And, add to this the intense energy needed to metabolize alcohol combined with it's effects of inflamming portions of the GI tract thus impacting the metabolic processes of needed minerals, vitamins, and nutrients.

I read somewhere that the body uses up half of it's daily energy requirements to metabolize a single pint of 86 proof alcohol.

Not sure I believe that tho'.

Is that a dare to test the Hypothesis? :D

btw: beer adds absolutely nothing to my waistline. Its the damned cleaners, they shrank my pants again. The ones I washed in cold.

It's not the beer it's the munchies I get when I drink. Damn if it isn't easy to down a whole bag of pretzels when drinking.

Back