fermentation temps?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nghtmre4u

Reaction score
Ok i bought a temp controller so i can get my ferm temps in range my question is this. If I want to ferment at 63 what would be the best way due to thermal activity of the yeast doing there thing should I put the sensor on the side of the carboy or adjust for the difference.Just wondering the best way.I am using a old fridge that will fit 2 carboys.Thanks for any advice

I would mount the sensor to the inside of the fridge wall about 18" up from the bottom. Then use some kind of a thermometer taped or otherwise attached to the fermenter. I use an indoor/outdoor digital thermometer with its sensor taped to the side of the fermenter. The actual temp of the fermenting wort will change with the yeast activity over time. The indoor/outdoor thermometer allows you to check the fermenter temp without opening the fridge door which I like a lot. Takes the guesswork out it.

Attach the temp controller probe to the outside of the fermentor and cover with some foam, bubble wrap, whatever you have that is insulating. This will give a very accurate measurement of your actual beer temperature and then dial in your fermentation temp on the controller.

GT

How about connecting the temp controller to a probe in a thermowell. That way the fridge will adjust so the center of the fermentor has the desired temp.

Attach the temp controller probe to the outside of the fermentor and cover with some foam, bubble wrap, whatever you have that is insulating. This will give a very accurate measurement of your actual beer temperature and then dial in your fermentation temp on the controller.

GT

This is how I do it.

Back