small scale brewpub information?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tombo615

Reaction score
Hey guys, recently i've been doing some research into brewpubs and the craft brewing industry in general but i still have a few questions that i can't seem to get answered. I'm creating a business plan for a small business course that I'm taking; and I centered the approach around opening a brewpub. The information that I can't seem to find is that for small scale brewpub operations (for example Dogfish Head during their start up stages) how many beers are typically offered on tap? Also, for smaller start-ups that utilize a brewing system like the Brew-Magic, what operational procedures could one expect? For example, how many kegs would be a reasonable amount to start off with when opening up such a small scale brewpub (what would be a reasonable amount of 1/2 barrels to support say an operation offering 6-7 different beers)? My last question is what is a reasonable projected amount of beer that is typically consumed at such a small scale brewpub?

It's funny, because for a school project I've never been so interested and dedicated to making such an in depth business plan. I've recently started brewing myself and have a Scottish ale fermenting as we speak :mug: Thank you in advance for anyone that can help me with such information.

Great reads. Information I was looking for.

One of my friends estimated a good $20 million to get one started, I think he's a tad far off.

I don't know if he'll respond to school project type stuff, but Lee Chase was head brewer at Stone for many years and has his own brewery consulting business.

Lee Chase Consulting

Also, the fine folks at probrewer.com are obviously already in the business as well.

20 million is a silly number. 1 million for a good brewpub in a decent location is closer. With a good used brewhouse, you might be able to come in under that.

Massapequa? Could you possibly bring me a double double from All American up to New Haven? Thanks.

Good luck with the project. Sounds like a fun one.

thanks for all the great info guys i appreciate it. JohnnyO I'd bring some up but I can't promise that the food would make it all the way up there, it's just so damn good:mug:

Back