How long can i wait to pitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dg35884

Reaction score
I suddenly came up with some time tomorrow to squeeze in a brew session before work. Since this is spur of the moment i did not have enough time (as i am at work right now) to make a yeast starter and get those puppies working. I am planning on brewing a saison that i hope to be in the range of OG 1.085 or so, so i know a yeast starter is essential. So should i scratch the saison and brew a lower gravity beer or should i brew it, make a starter and pitch the following day or longer?

If you are going to store the wort I would find a way to keep it at 40 degrees or so just like a refrigerator to prevent bacterial growth. If you can't do this I wolddo a lower gravity beer. This is just my opinoion of course.

I think you will risk contaminating the batch. You might get lucky, but I'd brew something lower gravity so you can pitch without the starter on the same day.

Thanks guys I decided to go with a brown ale and save the saison for next week so I can make a two stage starter!

Back