Best SMaSH recipe you've made???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The great thing about Munich or Vienna is they work as base malts or specialty/character malts if you're looking for malty flavor but not the sweetness of a caramel malt. A pound or two in an IPA, APA, saison, etc. is pretty awesome.

Yeah, I agree with above. I want to try chucking more hops in later on in the boil as I usually put more in at the start! All good though

Good idea. The late hop addition IPA I brewed a few months ago has been my best one yet. I didnt add any hops until there was 20 mins. left in the boil. It wasnt a SMaSH, but it turned out great!

I'm drinking a Munich II Hallertau SMaSH that is intense. I don't think I will use 100% Munich II again...I finally have difinitive proof of what malty means. Next up: Vienna. Still deciding on the hop.

I made a Galaxy/Vienna SMaSH a couple weeks ago. Smelled wonderful going into the fermenter, and can't wait to try it in a few more weeks.

I'm drinking a Munich II Hallertau SMaSH that is intense. I don't think I will use 100% Munich II again...I finally have difinitive proof of what malty means. Next up: Vienna. Still deciding on the hop.

I love Vienna with Northern Brewer hops. I made one at around 60ibu and it was tasty!

Vienna and Simcoe is pretty tasty. Done that twice now, and I'm craving it again.

I have a Bohemian Pilsner (10lbs) and a cascade (3.5 oz) 04 yeast almost done.
Samples taste awesome.
Great aroma, nice bitterness. Going to be a cracker!!!

Northern Brewer is an awesome hop paired with Vienna malt. I made a Vienna/Northern Brewer SMaSH hopped to around 60ibu and even my wife who doesn't like beer enjoyed it.

Northern Brewer is an awesome hop paired with Vienna malt. I made a Vienna/Northern Brewer SMaSH hopped to around 60ibu and even my wife who doesn't like beer enjoyed it.

I'll have to try a Vienna/Northern Brewer SMaSH once I get some fermenter space opened up. I don't have much experience with Northern Brewer yet.

Temp81 said:
Vienna and Simcoe is pretty tasty. Done that twice now, and I'm craving it again.

+hell yeah

I was going for a Vienna / Simcoe PA and accidentally reversed my hop additions. 121 IBUs! I added sugar to the fermenter and dry hopped in attempt to recover. It took a year to mellow into an amazing 8% DIPA. Aging an IPA?!?,.... Go figure.

What was you OG and hopping schedule? This might be my next pale batch.

OG - 1.045

1oz NB at 60
1oz NB at 20
.5oz NB at 15
.5oz NB at 10
1oz NB at 5

Fermented with US-05 at 65f

This was my first all grain and got great reviews from everyone who tried it.

My wife insists I keep this SMaSH on tap:

12 lb Vienna malt
1 oz Amarillo (FWH)
1 oz Amarillo (15 min)
1 oz Amarillo (1 min)
Belgian Style Saison Ale Yeast Blend (White Labs #WLP568)

:mug:

Just getting the first runnings from my first double decoction SMaSH pilsner right now...It is so clear and golden...beautiful...I can't think of any other words to say about it. This will be my best SMaSH.

I have a MO and Sorachi Ace SMASH coming up in the future. I actually may just split the MO into two batches and do MO and either citra, simcoe, or amarillo. I"m leaning toward amarillo, just not sure.

Just got a starter going for a Chinook/Vienna SMaSH. Will be the first one I've done. Going 13lbs Vienna, and 7 oz Chinook 1 (60), .75 (20), .75 (5), 1.5 (flameout) and 3 (dry hop). Also using Wyeast 1332 Northwest Ale for the first time. Planning on brewday Wednesday.

I am not a fan of real hoppy beers, and try to keep the IBU's in the 25-30 range in most of my brews. I would like to try a SMaSH and would love to hear some suggestions keeping the lower IBU's. I have done one all grain batch before, and think I would be OK doing this SMaSH. If you have any suggestions on combinations of malts and hops I would be open to any suggestions. Thanks!

SMaSH sounds fun! I have a little less than an ounce of Sorachi Ace in whole hop form - it'd be really cool to make a SMaSH using it. I'm brewing 2.5 gallons, so that's probably enough to get the flavor out of the hop, no?

Suggestions on a malt to use?

SMaSH sounds fun! I have a little less than an ounce of Sorachi Ace in whole hop form - it'd be really cool to make a SMaSH using it. I'm brewing 2.5 gallons, so that's probably enough to get the flavor out of the hop, no?

Suggestions on a malt to use?

Belgian pale malt and use a Belgian yeast. I would FWH then a whirlpool addition.

I have a MO and Sorachi Ace SMASH coming up in the future. I actually may just split the MO into two batches and do MO and either citra, simcoe, or amarillo. I"m leaning toward amarillo, just not sure.

Any updates on how the MO and Sorachi came out? I was gonna do this tomorrow but decided to go with MO/Falconers Flight. May do sorachi next week.

Any updates on how the MO and Sorachi came out? I was gonna do this tomorrow but decided to go with MO/Falconers Flight. May do sorachi next week.

I have a MO/Falconer's Flight smash in the primary right now. It's still really young but smells excellent. Mostly late hop additions and dry hopped.

This one turned out very well...

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Beisl Bier
Brewer: Cellarbrau
Asst Brewer:
Style: Vienna Lager
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 29.31 l
Post Boil Volume: 25.81 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 20.82 l
Bottling Volume: 19.31 l
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 5.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 22.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 85.8 %
Boil Time: 70 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
0.50 tsp Calcium Chloride (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 1 -
0.50 tsp Chalk (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 2 -
10 lbs 8.0 oz Ireks Vienna (4.0 SRM) Grain 3 100 %
1.00 oz Ultra 2011 [8.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 22.3 IBUs
0.50 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 5.0 mins) Fining 5 -
1.0 pkg Hella Bock (Wyeast #2487-PC) Yeast 6

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 10 lbs 8.0 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Sacc. Rest Add 16.87 l of water at 159.5 F 150.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun, 18.22l) of 168.0 F water

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've only made one smash so far so i guess that makes it my best one by default. It's a Vienna simcoe ipa with 5oz of simcoe in the boil, small fwh and the rest was late addition. Bottled it last weekend and the hydro sample tasted like pure hop juice!

Maris Otter, mashed low at 150 and enough of it to get an OG of 1.055. One addition of centennial at 60 for 40ish IBU, and ferment cool with US05/1056/001.

Just bottled Maris Otter-Amarillo.

Might be my best beer to date and it's not even carbed yet.

Smells and tastes just wonderful.

Kind of sad when I think about all the complicated brews.

SMASHBURSTED IPA

2-row & cascade. I can get a lb of cascade for $13 so this ends up being a relatively cheap brew despite 8 oz of hops. 70% efficiency = about 7% and 52 ibu's so it's very drinkable.

15 lbs 2-row

3 oz @ 20 min
2 oz @ 10 min
1 oz @ 5 min
2 oz @ 2 min

Wyeast 1056

3 week primary and then to the keg

coachzbell said:
SMaSH ESB
MO and Fuggles
wyeast 1098
Turned out great. Now to build a beer engine...

I do the same one but with a pinch of english crystal for color. My keezer died recently so I am serving it at cellar temp. Not bad at all.

I love the taste of Vienna and am thinking about going 100% Vienna/citra or 100% MO/citra for my first batch on my new 3 kettle flat brew system. I am a little concerned about the Vienna though. It does not appear to have near the diastatic power of a 2 row malt. Is there enough enzyme power there for it to convert on its own? If not, instead of a true smash I was considering going 90/10 Vienna/2row, then saving the MO smash for another day.

I love the taste of Vienna and am thinking about going 100% Vienna/citra or 100% MO/citra for my first batch on my new 3 kettle flat brew system. I am a little concerned about the Vienna though. It does not appear to have near the diastatic power of a 2 row malt. Is there enough enzyme power there for it to convert on its own? If not, instead of a true smash I was considering going 90/10 Vienna/2row, then saving the MO smash for another day.

I have a vienna/simcoe ipa smash in bottles right now that is out of this world. No worries about the Vienna converting.

I did the same only with 12Lbs MO and 5oz of Cascade and US05
it is excellent

This is on my short list of a simple brew.. How is the single style Cascade Hop additions? Would you use that again or try another type of Hops?

Agree with the other response. Vienna has plenty diastatic power. My first ag batch was a Vienna/Northern Brewer SMaSH APA that was REALLY tasty. Vienna and NB pair extremely well together.

Back