Rhino Liner Keg!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerBrewBob

Reaction score
After many hours of research and talking with my local Rhino Liner guy, we decided it was time to try something new. It turns out that Rhino liner not only insulates very well but can insulate for cold and hot, similar to the inside of a cooler.

My Rhino guy was very cool and actually was just curious to see if it would work so he didn't charge me a dime! The only concern is near the bottom where the flame will be. The metal will reach temperatures in excess of 250 degrees no problem. Rhino doesn't peel off until 500+ degrees so we will just have to see what happens during the first boil. I will post more pics later.

My reason for this was purely because the keg was beat to crap. It was scuffed and scratched (Abita). Rather than sanding, polishing, I went with a little more rugged look.

Cheers!

IMG_0666.jpg

IMG_0668.jpg

interested to see how it holds up with a long boil.

Interested in this also... if it really insulates well this could be a good way to go for the mash tun

I've seen bed liner done before but I believe the system was electric. It was also encasing insulation. Bed liner is supposed to be tough as nails. Looks good, the only problem would be from flames.

wubears71 said:
That is pretty sharp looking there. How thick did he put it on?

I couldn't say exactly. It looks thin. I would say 1/32 of an inch. He mentioned that the thicker he applies it, the more it would run. Also, it is very difficult to make it look appealing when it is caked on.

Are you planning on doing any type of test on this to see if the liner insulates well or not? A side by side test would be cool.

Don't be fooled by this...Rhino liner itself is not an insulator.....they do make insulation products but this is not it. It'll be better than just the SS itself but not much. It's more cosmetic than anything. I guarantee you that it's not worth it...other than looks. You'd have to get the thickness somewhere around 1/2 - 3/4 inch or more to really do anything. This is just a skim coating.

Trust me...with a minor in thermodynamics...etc - the rhino salemsan was pulling your leg and wanting you to buy more products.

Kuhndog said:
Don't be fooled by this...Rhino liner itself is not an insulator.....they do make insulation products but this is not it. It'll be better than just the SS itself but not much. It's more cosmetic than anything. I guarantee you that it's not worth it...other than looks. You'd have to get the thickness somewhere around 1/2 - 3/4 inch or more to really do anything. This is just a skim coating.

Trust me...with a minor in thermodynamics...etc - the rhino salemsan was pulling your leg and wanting you to buy more products.

Well I guess it's a good thing I paid nothing. For me, it wasn't about the insulation as much as it was about the rugged appeal and aesthetic look. My keg was beat up and the rhino liner does protect from scratching, etc...

vince805 said:
Are you planning on doing any type of test on this to see if the liner insulates well or not? A side by side test would be cool.

Possibly...If I end up side by side testing, I will post the details. I'm not trying to get to scientific with the setup as this was merely an aesthetic project due to the bad condition of the keg's original finish.

Possibly...If I end up side by side testing, I will post the details. I'm not trying to get to scientific with the setup as this was merely an aesthetic project due to the bad condition of the keg's original finish.

UPDATE:

Well, after getting to the point of nearly finishing my brewing sculpture, I've decided that it is indeed important to do this test after all. I will be traveling for a few weeks but when I return, I'm planing on boiling and testing holding temps in comparison to a non-Rhino keg... Stay tuned!

I obviously understand the advantages in the mashtun or even HLT, but is temperature control important in the boil kettle? I wouldn't do this simply because I have an immersion chiller, and (if working as intended) I can see it taking longer to chill the wort.

Back