Where to buy Beer kits online?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talleymonster

Reaction score
I just bought all of my equipment today to start extract brewing. (I first joined this forum like a year ago, and It took me this long to get off my ass and actually do it!)

I'm not sure where I should get my kit from. Can any of you reccomend good, reputable companies that you have bought from before? I just want a simple kit for my first attempt.

Thanks for any and all help.

P.S. I'm thinking of maybe like a Nut Brown Ale (Newcastle-ish).
:mug:

I just requested a catalog from Northern Brewer. Are they pretty good about getting catalogs out? I know that I have made 3 requests to Midwest Supply and still haven't received one.

Gambrinus said:
I just requested a catalog from Northern Brewer. Are they pretty good about getting catalogs out? I know that I have made 3 requests to Midwest Supply and still haven't received one.

You should get it in a week or so. You can download the one from Midwest directly from their site.

I vouch for Midwest Brewing Supply. Their ingredients are all high quality. The LME comes in a plastic jug that is very easy to submerge into the boiling water and rinsing out, as opposed to plastic bags I have seen other kit makers use. Their kit instructions are specific to the kit, which means the instruction sheet tells you the name of the hops to add for bittering and the name of the hops for aroma (instead of labeling the hop bags "bittering" and "aroma" so you'd have no idea which kinds you're using). Everything is labeled so an experienced brewer knows exactly what he's dealing with, but the instructions are spelled out clearly for a beginner to put it all together correctly.

The kit I'm brewing up today is called Oldcastle Brown Ale, probably just what you're looking for. It came with DME instead of LME though (my first time using DME - can't wait!).

I have had great luck with Austin Homebrew Supply. They usually ship the order same-day if it's ordered before five. I live one state away and typically receive my order in 2-3 days. They have a plethora of "clone" kits as well as plenty of their own kits. I have been quite pleased with them.

Here's a thread in a different section that lists a lot of online hombrew supply sites:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=701

Thalon said:
I vouch for Midwest Brewing Supply. Their ingredients are all high quality. The LME comes in a plastic jug that is very easy to submerge into the boiling water and rinsing out, as opposed to plastic bags I have seen other kit makers use. Their kit instructions are specific to the kit, which means the instruction sheet tells you the name of the hops to add for bittering and the name of the hops for aroma (instead of labeling the hop bags "bittering" and "aroma" so you'd have no idea which kinds you're using). Everything is labeled so an experienced brewer knows exactly what he's dealing with, but the instructions are spelled out clearly for a beginner to put it all together correctly.

The kit I'm brewing up today is called Oldcastle Brown Ale, probably just what you're looking for. It came with DME instead of LME though (my first time using DME - can't wait!).

This may be a dumb question, but what is DME and LME?

Being that you are in Las Vegas I would suggest MoreBeer.com I use them all the time and their shipping and service are excellent.

I decided on a kit. I ordered a Nut Brown Ale from Austin Homebrew Supply. I declined the alcohol booster. Does anybody here ever buy it? Is it worth doing? What about the yeast fuel? Or the ice pack? Just to be safe I checked the "yes" box, but I can't help but wonder if it is just an attempt to nickel and dime you for more money. What is your experience?

Depends how many days it is going to be in transit, but working in shipping I'd say the ice pack is a good call. wut is the alcohol booster? i can't find it...

Also, IMO it is good to have nutrients with extract brewing.

I have never tried the alcohol booster so I can't tell you much about it. Yeast fuel are extra nutrients for the yeast, not needed for most beers to the best of my knowlege. Might be useful for making starters. Ice packs can come in handy during summer shipping, but not needed. Enough of the yeasties usually survive shipping even without the icepacks. But if you want to make sure they arrive as healthy as possible go with the ice packs.

DeathBrewer said:
Depends how many days it is going to be in transit, but working in shipping I'd say the ice pack is a good call. wut is the alcohol booster? i can't find it...

Also, IMO it is good to have nutrients with extract brewing.

By "nutrients" are you referring to the yeast fuel?

And also, the alcohol booster..... When you are adding the kit to your cart and you have all the upgrade options, it is an upgrade that claims to make your finished product 1% stronger. I declined it because I figure this is my first brew, so I want to try and keep it simple. I just wondered if it was even worth it....:eek:

Gambrinus said:

I got my catalog in less than a week.

talleymonster said:
By "nutrients" are you referring to the yeast fuel?

And also, the alcohol booster..... When you are adding the kit to your cart and you have all the upgrade options, it is an upgrade that claims to make your finished product 1% stronger. I declined it because I figure this is my first brew, so I want to try and keep it simple. I just wondered if it was even worth it....:eek:

yes, the yeast fuel is nutrients.

huh. maybe the alcohol booster helps with attenuation?? i dunno, if i want to boost my alcohol, i add more extract ;) i'd say you made the right call for everything.

They just add extra brewing sugar to boost alcohol content. Won't change the taste much, might just thin it out a bit.

veggiess said:
They just add extra brewing sugar to boost alcohol content. Won't change the taste much, might just thin it out a bit.

I believe 1# of dextrose will get you 2.5% ABV boost in 5 gal.

.4# of dextrose should get about you a 1% boost

I can vouch for Northern Brewer. I don't know how long it will take where you live, but I have been extremely impressed by the service I get from them. If I put in an order before 3 p.m. on a weekday, my order will usually come by 10 a.m. the next day. Now that's fast. I haven't used any of the other online suppliers yet, so I can't comment on them.

Back