Syracuse, ny - round 7 group grain buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the moment, I'd be in for a pound of Cascade and a pound of Willamette. I have some buddies who may also be interested so I may add on to this.

At the moment, I'd be in for a pound of Cascade and a pound of Willamette. I have some buddies who may also be interested so I may add on to this.

updated hop splits on post #2. If you have more to add let me know

As much as I'd like to grab all of those hops, I think the misses will kill me. Can you remove me from the Mt Hood, Magnum, Fuggle, and Tettnang? If I change my mind, I'll let you know.

As much as I'd like to grab all of those hops, I think the misses will kill me. Can you remove me from the Mt Hood, Magnum, Fuggle, and Tettnang? If I change my mind, I'll let you know.

No problem - done!

The way I see it is that it is less than $80.00 for all those hops, which looks like a lot in your freezer, but feels light on the wallet.

$74.80, call it $80 with shipping / 160oz = $0.50 per oz of hops
That is the cheapest hop price per oz I have ever gotten!

Just wish they had amarillo...

For those of us that haven't bought any grain and don't plan on it, is there a minimum when it comes to hops? I am interested in 1 lb each of Cascade, Tettnang, and Northern Brewer (not on Cidah's list yet)

HU]90NBR Northern Brewer 8-10% (T) $7.30

I'd like to get ahtanum but apparently thats sold out if i read the list right.

Cannibal,

My thought is that you have to either be in the buy, or you have to piggy back up with someone in the buy. The idea is to keep the number of pickups reasonable at the site location. If we plan on letting folks buy a bag or two of hops only, then we will have 50+ people showing up to pick up a bag or two here and there. That is too much stress on the business.

No offense meant, but this is a bulk buy. So get bulk on us in the spirit of the bulk deals :mug:

I would say piggy back up with someone you know, or get in on the buy with yourself and a couple buddies.

The only other option for that is if someone wants to pick up for several people and distribute. But personally I want to get away from that. I did enough of these grain buys at my house in the beginning to p!ss my wife off. :D

I wish we were discussing this a month ago. I've been buying some (pretty decent deals actually) from HopShack and RiteBrew, and my current inventory looks like this: :mug:
2# Columbus
1.5# Spalt Select (German)
2# Willamette
2# Nugget
2# Galena
1# Brewers Gold
2# Cascade
1# Centennial
1# Chinook
2# Czech Saaz
1# Magnum
4 oz Apollo
4 oz Brambling Cross
4 oz Bravo
4 oz Challenger
1# EKG
4 oz Falconer's Flight
4 oz Fuggle (US)
8 oz German Select
4 oz Glacier
8 oz Hallertau Mittlefruh (Germany)
4 oz Liberty
8 oz Opal (Germany)
4 oz Palisade
4 oz Phoenix
4 oz Saphir (Germany)
4 oz Sterling
4 oz Styrian Gold (Solvenia)
6 oz Simcoe
6 oz Amarillo
? oz Perle (Germany) - need to check what's left
2 oz Mt Hood (US)
4 oz Crystal (US)

HopShack has Columbus for $6.99/#, cascade for 10.99/#, Centennial 18.59/#, Willamette $6.99/#, Spalt Select $6.99/#, Galena $7.59/#, Brewers Gold $8.19/#, Nugget $6.99/#. Ritebrew is a bit more, Check Saaz $11.59/#, Magnum $12.89/#, Chinook $11.29/#, Sterling $10.69/#.

Cidah, you are costing me a lot of money. I will go for:
2# Cascade (can't have too much of this)
2# Centennial "Type" (fake Centennial?)
1# Magnum --- NOTE: The catalog shows this as sold out????
1# Millinium
1# Mt Hood
1# Newport
1# Northern Brewer
1# Perle
1# Tettnang
1# Warrior (especially if the Magnum is unavailable, this is a possible replacement for a clean bittering hop)

Cidah, you are costing me a lot of money. I will go for:
2# Cascade (can't have too much of this)
2# Centennial "Type" (fake Centennial?)
1# Magnum --- NOTE: The catalog shows this as sold out????
1# Millinium
1# Mt Hood
1# Newport
1# Northern Brewer
1# Perle
1# Tettnang
1# Warrior (especially if the Magnum is unavailable, this is a possible replacement for a clean bittering hop)

Holy monkey that is a lot of hops! haha

The magnum I picked isn't shown as sold out, one of them is though. Would you mind posting the product numbers you wanted to add to the sheet (i.e. HU‐90CLM Columbus)? There are multiple listings for many of the hops, some are based in US/UK/Czech/Australia, etc. I have no way of knowing what you are looking for.

SOLID bulk buy contribution my friend! :mug:

From the sku "HU‐90CLM"; I am thinking NCM might have changed over to all Hop Union branded hops.

Do these look right?

HU‐90NPT Newport
HU‐90NBR Northern Brewer
HU‐90MLM Millenium
HU‐90PLR Perle
HU90‐WAR Warrior

FYI if you want the non US types scroll down and let me know the proper skus

Check post #2 to be sure I have you down all right.

FYI added one bag of rice hulls to the order. Looks like we are at 42 bags - pallet number one is complete!

I'm planning on placing an order once I finish moving in the end of April to Ithaca. If I order 5 sacks of grain would there be a minimum on buying hops?

And is anyone else in that area that would want to carpool to pick up their order?

Do these look right?

HU‐90NPT Newport
HU‐90NBR Northern Brewer
HU‐90MLM Millenium
HU‐90PLR Perle
HU90‐WAR Warrior

FYI if you want the non US types scroll down and let me know the proper skus

Check post #2 to be sure I have you down all right.

Oh, I didn't realize there was another whole page! Wow, more choices. The above look mostly ok. One thing, there is a German Perle (HU-90GPR) which is actually cheaper. Since Perle was originally bred in Germany, I wonder if the HU-90GPR would be a better choice? So, let's change that to HU-90GPR unless someone else chimes in with knowledge on the subject. ( In general, I'm open based on what others also want.)

One other thing, I forgot I also wanted 1# EKG. (HU-90EKG).
Thanks!

I would also be interested in "Hops trades" depending on the circumstances, especially if the trading party provided a "known-good" recipe for the hops they would be providing (or even maybe for the hops they were getting).

For example, you have an awesome recipe for Galena (which smells great, as I opened the not so well sealed packages and vacuum sealed them in 8 oz increments) but don't have any. You have some extra xyz, and know some good recipes to use it.

I'm especially looking for recipes that don't rely on Centennial, Cascade, EKG, Amarillo, Simcoe...or only use a tiny bit.

Ok. I'm seriously thinking about this. Since getting into AG last September, I am brewing way more than anticipated, as SWMBO and I are drinking it way too fast. I have a demand to keep up with!!

Hop Splits added to spreadsheet!
I added what currently is entered in post 2 for amounts. Please double check my entries.

Also the following people need to PM me their full name, phone number, and email address if they want access to the spreadsheet:
Westo2
jbsengineer
rustbucket
Drocu

I'm planning on placing an order once I finish moving in the end of April to Ithaca. If I order 5 sacks of grain would there be a minimum on buying hops?

And is anyone else in that area that would want to carpool to pick up their order?

Welcome!

no minimum on hop buying if you participate in the grain buy at 5 bags. I will let the other folks answer you on the carpooling. We have folks from all over NY who participate so I am sure you will be able to work something out.

HOPS

Copyright, I posted your changes to perle - I agree go with the UK version.

Did everyone update or check what they want on the hop section in the new order sheet? It should be current and up to date as of what I know, but please check under your name as I am removing the tracking sheet from post 2.

Ok. I'm seriously thinking about this. Since getting into AG last September, I am brewing way more than anticipated, as SWMBO and I are drinking it way too fast. I have a demand to keep up with!!

welcome and please feel free to sink your teeth in! Check posts 1 and 2 for the rules

Decided to add some EKGs to my hop order.

Thats the spirit!

I added hallertaur hers and mittlefruh to the sheet as well as another ekg and cascade to my hops (i use a ton of ekg). I use a lot of hallertauer in hte spring and summer for bavarian hefe, blood orange hefe and sam adam's summer ale, etc.

Added another lb of cascade.

Cidah, what do you use most out of whats on that list?

Hey Jeff,

I use a lot of those hops in general actually, so the below will probably be only so helpful. If you like a certain style, that might be more helpful in my telling you what hops I use for that style. I have been putting EKG in a TON of brews lately. That hop is one I use a lot of batches, but in smaller doses (british styled brews).

There are some brews (IPAs, Pale Ales) that eat hops for breakfast (Celebration:centennial/cascade: Wry IPA: Mt. Hood/Columbus: Torpedo: Magnum/Crystal: Amarillo IPA: Amarillo), and a couple more. I will go through a half a pound or up to a lb of hops per 11g batch of one and/or each variety of some of the above brews.

Frequency brews (less hops per brew, but used in many batches) would be in this order of importance:
1. EKG - stouts/porters/english browns, altbiers, etc.
2. Wheats/hefes/dunkels/ etc. (Tett., hallertau hers and hallertau mittlefruh)
3. Northern brewer - stouts
4. Perle

On that list the hops I use the least would be:
Saaz (but I am getting into more and more lager ideas so I assume this will change)
Fuggle
Willamette

Never used:
Newport
Millennium
Warrior

With the hallertau, I sort have certain recipes that I really like to use each one for. It might be completely made up in my head, but when I am trying to accentuate fruit or citrus I use mittlefruh. When I go to accentuate malt character or spice I use hersbrucker in combination with tett. and/or sometimes perle. For some reason I am really convinced they are the "right" ways to get the best accent out of these hops.

I think Tett. and herbs (and perle) work exceptionally well together to get an american wheat; malt forward with some spice to it, like sam adams summer ale or similar.

for that hallertau if I had to pick just one I would go with mittlefruh just because I use more of it according to my notes. However in a pinch I have subbed one for the other to make up the difference in a batch I was short on.

Like others have said... I hate not having the right hops on hand. Time to bulk up on these!!

Had a few changes on our sheet:

HU-90CLM Columbus 2
HU-90MTH Mt Hood 4
HU-90GSZ Saaz 3
HU-90GMG Magnum 3
HU-90EKG East Kent Golding 6 (over halfway there)
HU-90CAS Cascade 9 (almost closed)

HU-90CTP Centennial 4
HU-90FGL Fuggle 3
HU-90WLT Willamette 3
HU-90TNG Tettnang 3
HU-90NPT Newport 1
HU-90NBR Northern Brewer 3
HU-90MLM Millenium 1
HU-90GPR Perle 1
HU-90WAR Warrior 1
HU‐90MTF Mittlefruh 1
HU‐90HBR Hersbrucker 1

Keep those hops growing guys, you can't get 'em this cheap otherwise!

By the way Jeff, not sure I said it yet... Thanks for adding that hop section to the order sheet - much appreciated!

I'm so tempted to add more hops...and I probably will.

:D after writing all that stuff about hops to Jeff I double checked that list to see if there were more that I could add haha I am getting all amped up just thinking about them!

~ .50 per oz makes hop heavy brews very affordable...

CidahMastah said:
:D after writing all that stuff about hops to Jeff I double checked that list to see if there were more that I could add haha I am getting all amped up just thinking about them!

~ .50 per oz makes hop heavy brews very affordable...

Ain't that the truth!

You guys need to stop this discussion during business hours.

You are making my mouth water. And there are still 5 hours left in the day.

Copyright speaking of electric, did you try out that experiment that you were talking about with regard to an "e" setup?

Back