Adding more cocoa for my chocolate mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pennachi

Reaction score
I have decided to add more cocoa to my 3 gallon batch of chocolate cinnamon mead. I originally put in 8 ounces of Hershey's cocoa. I now realize this wasn't enough plus I believe lost a lot of it in the kreuzen before I slapped on a blow off tube.

How much more cocoa do you guys think I should add?

Also what do you think the best way to add the cocoa is?
Right now the mead is in a 3 gallon carboy, I do have a spare 6 gallon carboy. (Hobby fund is tapped, can't buy anymore equipment anytime soon)
I was thinking siphon half of the mead into the 6 gallon, add more cocoa, do you think 8 ounces would be enough? Or should I go 16 more ounces? Siphon the rest of the mead on top, stir with degassing rod. Siphon back into the 3 gallon.

Do you see any big problems with this?

When?
I am new to this whole game. What am I looking for before I rack mead or wine?
No noticeable airlock activity?
A certain sg?
Just an amount of time?
Then racking how often is healthy for the mead or wine?

Also when should I be using campden tablets? Or should I?

Only three Weeks into this hobby and I'm hooked.
Thanks everyone, you have been a great help already.

Just draw a little of your must into a sanitized container, stir in your cocoa so that it's smooth, minimal clumps, pour it back into the fermenter.

Your first racking should be when airlock activity slows. I generally do it at about 20-30 seconds between bubbles because I'm too lazy to take hydro readings. :)

What was the recipe? Been thinking of a chocolate mead for a while.

Honestly I kinda just made it up, I used 10 pounds clover honey, 3 small cinnamon sticks, 8 ounces of Hershey's cocoa and premeir cuvee (sp?) Yeast and 3 tsp of nutrient. Im def going to add more cocoa asap

How strong do you like your chocolate? I like mine pretty strong. When I was a kid my mom couldn't keep bakers chocolate because I would always be nibbling on the semi sweet and unsweetend bars. To me the 95% Cacao bars in the store are good.

The reason I say this is your personal taste will direct how much cocoa you use.

I used 3 quarts jars of honey which will weigh in the neighborhood of 8 1/2 lbs. In about 2 1/2 gallons of water I got a SG of 1.125 If this finishes out at 1.00 the alcohol would be about 16% which is higher than I like it. I have room for more water in the carboy so I will add water to dilute it now that the primary fermentation is done.

I am more of a milk chocolate kinda guy, I would like a decently strong chocolate taste in this mead, I just don't know how much to add... Suggestion?

If you want a strong chocolate taste, you will need to have some residual sweetness...if your yeast drys this out, you will need to stabilize and backsweeten, otherwise there will just be an odd bitterness from the cocoa (kc in wv would like it...) I've found that this is just one of those flavors that most people percieve better with some associated sweetness...for me it doesn't take much, so I usually only backsweeten to about 1.010

If you want a strong chocolate taste, you will need to have some residual sweetness...if your yeast drys this out, you will need to stabilize and backsweeten, otherwise there will just be an odd bitterness from the cocoa (kc in wv would like it...) I've found that this is just one of those flavors that most people percieve better with some associated sweetness...for me it doesn't take much, so I usually only backsweeten to about 1.010

Thanks for your help.

Would you stabilize at 1.010, and then age?

How did it end up turning out? I have a bag of nativa's cacao powder that I want to try mixing up in a mead. I have a bag of ceylon cinammon so I can add some of that too. I probably better just start with a one gallon batch as a test though I'm always just tempted to go for five.

Back