black butte porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcryan

Reaction score
just had my first black butte porter. wow. what a beauty. so good. i was reading the label on the beer bottle and didn't understand something so i thought i would ask the pros.

it says "a fine layer of yeast in each bottle is a result of the kraeusening process. creating natural carbonation and distinct flavor."

isnt kraeusen the snot that forms when fermenting? none in my beers? does that mean the carb with sugar and not C02?? do all the big breweries naturally carb?

i know its a lame question but my wife is sick of me talking about beer so i know i came to the right place. cheers

A small amount of fresh beer is added at bottling to carb, similar to adding malt instead of sugar at bottling. Did it a few times to kegs that I let sit for 2-4 months.

A small amount of fresh beer is added at bottling to carb, similar to adding malt instead of sugar at bottling. Did it a few times to kegs that I let sit for 2-4 months.
This

bcryan, since you enjoyed Black Butte Porter, you need to find Black Butte XX. Haven't had this years batch yet (XXIII). I really need to cellar a few bottles of this.

Also thank you for reminding me that I haven't hiked Black Butte this year. I live so close, I should climb it at least once a year. The views of the Cascades from the top are phenomenal.

This

bcryan, since you enjoyed Black Butte Porter, you need to find Black Butte XX. Haven't had this years batch yet (XXIII).

As well you shouldn't. I just had my XXI last month on my birthday. Fantastic beer. Try this year's batch in 2013 at the soonest! :mug:

Yeah, I'm really glad they added that info to the website. They handed out bundled note cards with that info at this year's Zwicklemania, but they ran out before I made it to Deschutes.

Also, if anyone plans on being in the Bend area at the beginning of any given month, try to get into one of the DBU classes (Deschutes Brewery University). Well worth the $25. Hell, it's worth the $25 just for the samples, and the sunset views from their mountain room.

As well you shouldn't. I just had my XXI last month on my birthday. Fantastic beer. Try this year's batch in 2013 at the soonest! :mug:
Heh, I always have one bottle as soon as possible, and save the rest for as long as I can. Patience isn't my best virtue, but I haven't been disappointed yet.

This makes no sense... fresh beer? U must mean either wort or dextrose or some other sugar based substance to carb up (bottle condition).

Back