Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captaintikid

Reaction score
Is it possible to artifucially carbonate beer by adding a small piece of dry ice (Frozen CO2) in a bottle imediatlly before bottling, i wanna know if any one has tryed it before i give it an attempt, regardless, i will pot my results. Main thing im worried about is the bottle exploding, maybe i will mess with different quantities of dry ice, another thing im worried about is the intense cold having an effect on the beer by partial freezing, after all im not making an ice beer, just a simple ale. what are your guys thoughts?

this has been discussed before (you can't search for it though because of the minimum number of letters required for a search, i believe)

general consensus was that it is too dangerous, and you can't really regulate the amount of dry ice you put in very easily.

thing is with dry ice, is that it will evaporate quickly given the right circumstances, and when it does that, the liquid won't be able to absorb it as it would if it were a gradual process. this creates an excessively high pressure inside the container, and effectively a bomb.

i would caution AGAINST trying this out, as it could potentially become very dangerous.

i wouldn't worry about the freezing part as the thermal mass of dry ice isn't nearly as much as the thermal mass of 5 gallons of beer (if in a keg) or the same goes for a bottle proportionally.

again, i would not do this...

Well, i will take that into consideration when building a box to protect everything from an explosion, however, i think i have to try it, just for the hell of it, and it it explodes, it's all good. but dry ice will evaporate slower once there is higher pressure involved, so that might come into play a bit

It will go boom. There was a trucking company down the street from my house and sometimes they would drop dry ice off the trucks. We, obviously being kids would get it and some glass bottles. In the 70's there were all kinds of bottles that would work really well. Anyway a little water, drop the dry ice in and toss it into the tall grass and move back about 50 feet or so. Wait a few minutes and :eek: boom! Glass would be flying everywhere.

Mike

Back