Stuck fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slamback

Reaction score
I am brewing an Imperial Pale Ale. Had a OG of 1.080, and it's been in the primary 2 full weeks. I just took a gravity reading & it's at 1.030. Should I hope for more? I was expecting between 1.010 - 1.020. Should I pitch more yeast? This is my 3rd batch, so I'm a def noob, and I used Wyeast American Ale smackpack. Any suggestions would be helpful.

If you didn't make a starter you under pitched a 1.080 beer.

Without a starter you need several packs of yeast according to http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

I'd make a starter out of another pack or better yet go get some Safale S-05 yeast and pitch a rehydrated packet.

I wouldn't open it up too much (chance for infection) you need to check again after a few days, until you consistently see that it is not going any lower. IMHO.

Then if it doesn't get any below the 1.030, it is time to decide what you would do, I keg so I would keg it and not worry. Bottling though, you want to make sure it is right or else you have grenades going off in the closet.

Back