Big Loss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UNOmar

Reaction score
I had my first big loss this last weekend. I'm still a little broken up about it.
I have a double tower tap system that I've been working on the last few months. I've had a Hefeweizen on tap for a couple weeks now and loving it. Well, Friday I tapped what was supposed to be my House Ale (a pale ale session beer). It tasted delicious so I had a few friends over to celebrate the occasion. All went well until I woke up Saturday morning to a strong beer smell. I opened the chest freezer to find the remaining ~3 gallons of my ale flooding the floor. Apparently I've got a leak in the beer line somewhere. If the freezer hadn't formerly been used as a meat locker by someone else I would have grabbed a long straw and setup camp, but alas I was forced to wet-vac it.
I always knew I'd be forced to dump a batch sooner or later, but I'd figured it would have been because of infection or something.
I guess it's just an excuse to brew another batch.

Beer Rule # 643

Always inspect your kegs for leaks after a session. Even if it takes 3 people to hold the light.:D

OMG !!
lost about 2 gallons of a blond great drinking alesat night sunday morning
it was the same we were brewing and testing the blond ale that i kegged last weekend and one of the corni valves just leaked beer out all over my vending machine :mad: just crap everywhere so sunday morning was all about cleaning the floor and removing the vender to the back yard for a good cleaning
to top it off both batches of beer we brew were stuck and had to repitch yeast
so to make me feel better i picked up a stout to brew next weekend:D

Dwayne

Had that happen to me with my first batch ever.

Quick disconnect would come loose when the picnic tap would spin a little from moving up/down.

Lost (i'm guessing) a gallon or so? Buddy and I were drinking a few, he left... I went to grab another beer and PHSHSSSSSSS. Talk about heart drop. It dropped further when I looked below the keg to see brown ice water (had it sitting in a cooler w/ ice water) Water was very brown, and it was a red ale :/

oh well, just mean time for another batch!!

I've never lost a whole batch, but my latest cider had a problem with the poppet and leaked about a gallon into the aging chest. And there's all those times I've put a party tap on a keg with the valve open.:drunk:

I had a few friends over a while back with the kegerator fully loaded on all three taps. Well one of my friends had a little to much and left the tap on. I walked in a few minutes later with an empty keg and beer everywhere. I made him clean up the mess in the morning. At least it wasn't one of my better ones.:drunk:

Such sad stories...
To add to the uncertainty of my situation I kegged about 1 Gal of water in the aforementioned keg, pressurized it, and threw it on tap overnight. Same setup as my weekend beer-tastrophy. This morning I checked and not a drop has leaked. Now I'm unsure if I just didn't get the ball lock disconnect on properly. I'm still tentative to put another beer on tap until I *fix* something.

dougjones31 said:
Always inspect your kegs for leaks after a session. Even if it takes 3 people to hold the light.:D
MANLAW!!!! (board members raise beer and echo 'MANLAW' in agreement.):tank:

Back