Is WLP410 the Ommegang house strain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kscomp0

Reaction score
My understanding is that Ommegang uses a single house strain for all of their beers and that this strain requires high temperatures to attenuate completely. My experience with 410 in a Wit resulted with poor attenuation (65F ferment) and a profile similar to a weizen strain. Has anyone made comparisons of a beer fermented with 410 at higher temperatures and the Ommegang Wit for example?
The Mr. Malty yeast guide suggests that this strain is from Ommegang.

I listened to an interview with the Ommegang Brewmaster and their yeast is a proprietary strain from a private yeast bank in Belgium. They ferment every beer at 78 degrees.

Eric

Eric,
Wyeast occasionally releases Rogue's proprietary Pacman yeast. As 410 is a Platinum strain, I could see a similar relationship between White Labs and Ommegang.

Eric,
Wyeast occasionally releases Rogue's proprietary Pacman yeast. As 410 is a Platinum strain, I could see a similar relationship between White Labs and Ommegang.

Pacman is Wyeast 1764 and a Private Collection released Jan-Mar. WLP410 Belgian Wit II is a Platinum strain released May-Jun

I am currently harvesting the Ommegang strain. I emailed Phil Leinhart to verify that it was a house strain and it could be harvested. He replied in less than 5 minutes saying I should be able to harvest with no issue and they don't add another type of yeast for bottling.

Just remember that you should ferment cooler than they do. Something about very large batches, fermenter geometry, and hydrostatic pressure... they need higher temperatures to get the same esters and stuff that we'll get at lower temperatures.

Back