5 gallon level on 6 gallon carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tek210

Reaction score
Just got a 6 gallon carboy today and will be doing my first batch tomorrow. Is there an easy way to get a 6 gallon glass carboy up to the proper level? Is there a standard volume that you use to get the batch up to 5 gallons or is there some indicator of the bottle? The one I have has a series of ribs and wondering if these lines are gallon markers?

Joe

im not sure about the ribs but if it looks like the one I have those are not indicative of gallon lines (may be different though). Just fill it up with 5 gallons of water and mark that level with sharpie or tape or something. I use Masking tape.

Heh, yeah. I think I probably clicked on the submit button like .002 seconds before you did, because when I went back to the main page, I already saw your name under this thread. :mug:

hehe... you guys beat me to the punch as I was gonna suggest marking it one gallon at a time with a sharpie... that's what I did with my bucket....

What a perfectly simple idea. Will do that tomorrow. Appreciate the quick responses.

I've done this exact same thing w/my 6-gallon carboy, only I used thin strips of electrical tape instead. It gets wet and seems to take some abuse so far without un-sticking. BTW, my 6 gallon Italian made carboy holds more like 6.5 gallons near the neck. YMMV.

I meant to measure before (or while) I brewed yesterday, but forgot, so I 'estimated' and filled up to the base of the neck.

Back