Chili Dog Chili...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezter6

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm thinking about making up a bunch and potentially freezing for later some good Chili dog style chili. I have a bunch of ideas of what I want to put it on where a full on bean chili would just be too much/heavy.

I'm looking for a good sloppy truck stop or specialty hot dog stand style chili that's really sloppy and super ground up beef....

Of course I could just do up some ground beef with chili powder and just leave out the beans, but I'm curious if you guys do anything "different" to make that special sauce.

Of course I could just do up some ground beef with chili powder and just leave out the beans, but I'm curious if you guys do anything "different" to make that special sauce.
Beef broth/stock. Not really different or special but part of a good chili recipe imo.

I add bacon to mine. I cook the bacon first then brown the beef in the bacon grease. Bacon makes everything better!

To make it super sloppy I add my water and meat and then use my hands to turn it to mush. Then throw in everything else. Here is a good "go to" around the house here.

1lb ground beef
chili powder
granulated garlic
granulated onion
ground mustard
ground cumin
chicken stock or bullion (I like the flavor better than the beef and I will add a dash of soy sauce to enhance the "beef flavor")
salt
pepper
2 cans S&W diced tomatoes
1 can salsa el pato, the green for less spice, the yellow for more
2 dried chilis of choice (dried thai if you want a super spicy chili!!!)

I don't brown my meat because it needs to be hand mixed in the liquid first for super sloppy chili. I add the chili powder until it covers the top of the meat. The rest of the ingredients I add at amounts that I like (like a teaspoon to a tablespoon of each). The dried chilis and cans of tomatoes go into the blender and then into the pot. Cook and hour and a half to two hours. Easy as pie.

images
images

I usually add a pint of stout to whatever chili I am making, though it's usually chunky football watching chili, not chili dog chili. It comes out nice and rich though. I like Matt's idea of using all powdered spices rather than dicing up whole onions, garlic, peppers for the style you're going for.

I usually add a pint of stout to whatever chili I am making, though it's usually chunky football watching chili, not chili dog chili. It comes out nice and rich though. I like Matt's idea of using all powdered spices rather than dicing up whole onions, garlic, peppers for the style you're going for.

Yeah, there is a different set of ideas that I use when making an eating chili compared to a saucing chili. The powdered spices make life one hundred percent affectiveness for this because it is a saucing chili and you will add chopped onions on top of the dog for that fresh onion taste.

Back