10 gallon batch fermentor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

907_fellow

Reaction score
So I am thinking about doing a 10 gallon batch. I brew with lme, specialty malts, and hop additions. I assume I could just order 2 of the 5 gallon kits and make both at the same time. I am using a keggle so the 10 gallon volume shouldn't be an issue. My question is, what's the best fermenter to use for the 10 gallon batch? I like glass over plastic, and don't have $$ for a stainless conical fermenter. What's everyone else using?

I use a 15.5 sanke keg to ferment in. Get the spear out, clean and sanatize. Then strech a orange carboy cap over the top, plug one and run a blow off from the other. So far works great with no issues.

That's a great idea. Need to purchase a sanke keg I suppose. Just out of curiosity, how big of a starter are you running for a 10 gallon batch?

Another option? Just use two fermenters! Super simple.

And MrMalty is your friend when it comes to figuring out starter sizes. Use that calculator, plug in the age of your yeast packets, your wort volume, OG, and whether you use a stirplate, just plan to shake the starter every time you see it, or plan to leave it to do its thing on its own, and it'll tell you exactly what you need.

I use two fermentors since I rarely pitch the same yeast for all 10 gallons.

To me, one of the most fun parts about making 10 gallon batches is creating subtle (or not so subtle) differences between the batches. I almost will use different yeasts, or different dry-hops, or add honey to one, or something like that. It's fun to see which one you like most (might surprise you) and is an easy thing to do to show other people how beer "works."

...that said, I'm in the middle of building one of the 15 gallon inductor tank fermentors!

Running a number 11 stopper in the top of a sanke will seal it up good? Or just the two-tube orange carboy cap? Conical fermenter would be sweet, but I don't kno if I have room to use one of those bad boys.

I'm sure the stopper would work. I was always worried about the little groves/notches in the sanke top so I went with the orange carboy cap. I am sure they both work though.

The orange carboy cap worked well though? 15 gallon sanke isn't too much headspace to ferment 10 gallons of wort?

The orange carboy cap worked well though? 15 gallon sanke isn't too much headspace to ferment 10 gallons of wort?

I have used both the orange carboy cap and a #10 drilled stopper. I prefer the stopper. The orange carboy cap is a PITA to put on even after heating it in near boiling water. I ferment 11 gallons all the time in mine...headspace isnt an issue. They can be a little harder to clean so build yourself somesort of cheap carboy/keg washer. One of the reasons I love fermenting in Sankes is that you can steam sanitize them!! Once clean I fill mine with about 2-3 gallons of water and throw it on the burner. I let it boil for about ten minutes with a foil lid with holes punched in. Turn off the burner and cover the hole with sanitized foil. Once it's cool I put it back into the garage for the next brew session.

How do you siphon out of a sanke without getting trub and yeast?

A large auto-siphon fits perfectly. Just treat the sanke like you would any carboy or bucket. Of course you could also do like I do and push it out using CO2 but that involves a little more equipment.

It works. You don't need a filter. Start you siphon up high and slowly lower it until you just start to pick up yeast. Then raise it up just a tad. You can either hold it there or make some sort of "holder".

Most people use separate fermenters to split the batch. Easier to move, allows you to use different yeast, etc. I do like the idea of transferring under pressure using a stainless steel fermenter. If I was using a sanke, I'd probably pre-measure my autosiphon or racking cane so that I wouldn't sit in the trub.

I like the idea of one, larger fermenter for 10 gallon batches, but how do you all move the wort into the fermenter, and the finished beer out of it. How do you get a filled fermenter into your ferm. chamber?

I like the idea of one, larger fermenter for 10 gallon batches, but how do you all move the wort into the fermenter, and the finished beer out of it. How do you get a filled fermenter into your ferm. chamber?

move the wort into the fermenter? I open the ball valve on my bk and let it fill up. To remove it, I use an auto-siphon. You obviously have to have a large enough ferm chamber. I use a 16cu. ft. fridge.

I have a 50L sanke keg that I can use for up to about 12 gallons of worth at a time. The first time I used it we put about 4-5 gallons into it and then ran the rest of the chilled wort into buckets and poured those in once the fermenter was in the basement. Pitched a starter slurry and it came out great. IMO, if at all possibe , you're better off doing the batch in a single vessel.

I do transfer from fermenter with a CO2 push. If you already keg your brew its not really all that involved. You can use the orange carboy caps for the gas in and beer out, via a racking cane. Or you can get more involved like I do. I have a gas post on the keg (or cap for the 50L fermenter) to put the CO2 in. I then have a liquid post on a TC cap, with a cut dip tube so that I leave the sediment/trub behind. Works really well for me. It also allows me to fill my kegs via their liquid post.

move the wort into the fermenter? I open the ball valve on my bk and let it fill up. To remove it, I use an auto-siphon. You obviously have to have a large enough ferm chamber. I use a 16cu. ft. fridge.

For either of these methods to work, you need starting container to be elevated relative to the destination container. I guess my question was more: how do you elevate a full 10gal fermenter high enough to get a syphon?

The basement where I'm living is well within the temperature range needed for my yeasts to ferment properly. I monitor the ferment temperature too, so I KNOW how it's doing. It also means I don't need to get/make a fermentation chamber at this point. I'm not lagering, brewing with ale yeasts, so I'm good this way.

BTW, using a CO2 push, I don't lift my [full] fermenters once they're placed in the basement (they sit on the floor there). Next time I move them, even an inch, they only have the sediment/trub after I've extracted the finished beer. :rockin: My back is much happier about this.

If a sankey is too hard to find, there are glass 15 gallon demijohns usually used for winemaking. Those should work just as well.
I'm thinking of getting a barrel in a year or two... and was probably going to use one or two of these to primary in. (Used wine barrel or new barrel or just make a red wine for the first batch).

For either of these methods to work, you need starting container to be elevated relative to the destination container. I guess my question was more: how do you elevate a full 10gal fermenter high enough to get a syphon?

My BK is elevated anyways (gravity setup). For the fermenter-to-keg, I lift it. It's 85lbs full, but if I'm racking to a keg, I only have to lift it a few feet. Another set of hands doesn't hurt. I could use a pump and have considered a plastic head pump (for about $37).

I saw those Demi-John 14.2 gallon glass fermentors and thought they were badass. Cleaning them up could be a small issue, but I like the idea of using them for fermenting 10 gallons at a time.

I guess the simpler answer to this whole deal is just split the 10 gallons up between two 6 gallon carboys and pitch two different yeasts and play with the results. But at the same time, if I have a beer I know I like, it would be sweet to just do 10 gallons and be done with it.

As far as kegging 10 gallons, obviously the simplest would be two 5 gallon cornys. Thu don't make 10 gallon cornys do they? Is there any other options? 1/4 barrel sanke would work I suppose but I don't have access to them easily.

I saw those Demi-John 14.2 gallon glass fermentors and thought they were badass. Cleaning them up could be a small issue, but I like the idea of using them for fermenting 10 gallons at a time.

I guess the simpler answer to this whole deal is just split the 10 gallons up between two 6 gallon carboys and pitch two different yeasts and play with the results. But at the same time, if I have a beer I know I like, it would be sweet to just do 10 gallons and be done with it.

As far as kegging 10 gallons, obviously the simplest would be two 5 gallon cornys. Thu don't make 10 gallon cornys do they? Is there any other options? 1/4 barrel sanke would work I suppose but I don't have access to them easily.

They make 10g cornies and I desperately want one, but no way in hell I'm convincing SWMBO to let me spend hundreds of dollars on one. I got my 5G cornies for average of $45 each. It IS a pain to have to rack twice, clean twice, sanitize twice, two gas line setups, etc.

They make 10g cornies and I desperately want one, but no way in hell I'm convincing SWMBO to let me spend hundreds of dollars on one. I got my 5G cornies for average of $45 each. It IS a pain to have to rack twice, clean twice, sanitize twice, two gas line setups, etc.

cough*wuss*cough... :D

I transfer my finished brew, getting 6 gallons out of most batches, into two 3 gallon corny kegs. I have enough gas lines in my brew fridge for four kegs (three taps), so I have one carbonating while three are serving.

As for transferring the finished beer into serving kegs. I really like the CO2 push I'm doing. I fill via the liquid post (one on the source fermenter and then on the serving kegs) so it's very easy. Plus, once the hose is sanitized (inside), it doesn't matter what I touch it with (on the outside). :D I give the serving keg's liquid post a spray with Star San before connecting the feed to it and I'm good to go. :ban: I also clean, and sanitize, each serving keg as it becomes empty. Then I store them with some CO2 in there to keep it golden. Very easy to then vent the CO2 pressure, pop the lid, and fill it up. I pop the lid on the kegs so that I can see when it's full and I can shift to the second keg. Or when both are full, I can simply turn off the CO2 feed, remove the QD's and then vent the fermenter of pressure (before cleaning it).

Since I've been fermenting this way, I really can't see doing it any other way. Luckily, I have enough beer fermenters, and mead fermenters, to keep me going. :D

I use these for fermenting my 10 gallon batches and I've been very satisfied. I've made probably 10 different batches in these and had no issues:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/vittles-vault-50-pound-282503/

I have a pair of these as well, or their "little brothers", to be precise. Never a problem, clean easy, racking in mine is a breeze (since mine has a spigot on the bottom corner). It came as a "deluxe winemaking equipment kit" a few...umm..maybe more than a few years back.

John

Back