OnederBrew.....anyone try this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I now have a onederbrew with the first batch underway. I will start sampling after a week. I guess I will bottle and use less priming sugar, depending how carbonated it seems when it comes out. Satisfied with the product so far. Seems well made for the price.

Update and question. Had a party and basically served it after just one week of fermentation. So it had cold crashed for a day prior to the party, and we drank maybe 40% of it last night. It was a "northern brewer" brown ale kit, very good but probably would have been better with more time. I did not take an initial or final gravity. Today, one day after the party, pressure has dropped from 12 psi to just under 5. I can easily bottle the rest as it is lightly carbonated at this point. I have not harvested any yeast and it remains with the other sediment in the tip of the cone.

My questions: Should I add priming sugar to the bottles? I would think yes otherwise the beer will likely be flat. Do I need to (and can I) wake the yeast back up by bringing the onderbrew back to room temp? Should I shake the container to get some of it back in suspension, then bottle it and leave at room temp for another two weeks?

Failing any advice, my plan is:

1. Remove from fridge, gently flip and rotate the container to get the yeast out of the bottom tip of the cone.
2. Allow the sediment to mostly re-settle, but just for a couple hours. Beer will no longer be in the fridge and getting warmer, but will still be cold.
3. Add 1/2 teaspoon of priming sugar to each bottle (and this is less than then the 3/4 tsp I have used in the past)
4. Cap the bottles and give it a try in 2 weeks.

I am thinking the yeast will wake up when it gets warmer and will then have new sugars in the bottle to eat for carbonation. I am worried that without getting the yeast off the bottom of the cone it will not be present in sufficient quantity to convert the sugar in the bottle.

Any advice/opinions greatly appreciated!
Mike

You're def going to need to prime the bottles to further carbonate your beers. I would use those priming tablets you can buy. They usually say to add 3 or 4 per bottle so I would add 1 less. The beer is only 1 week old. The fact that it was cold crashed does not take all the yeast out. There will still be plenty of yeast in solution to carbonate your beers. So in your outlined process I would drop steps 1 and 2.

Had to harvest yeast from the Onederbrew today...while I was waiting for the yeast to "poop" out I figured I would make a quick video with my phone to show you what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32JG83SKSF0

OK, I don't know if I'm alone here, but based on the linked youtube videos that came up after your video I'd just like to make one request.

Please, I'm begging you, Check the linked vid's that come up after the link in your post. I can only guess that including "yeast Infection" in the description is NOT a good thing.

Seriously, I'm on my knees begging you, kill that post!

Heh that is pretty disturbing but the videos displayed after the video are out of my control. I assure you 'yeast infection' is not a tag though 'yeast' certainly is.

Had great success with carbonating my beers. They came out great after two weeks of bottle conditioning. I used a standard 3/4 teaspoon of dextrose per bottle and all was fine. It was a complete success. So to recap (no pun intended) I drank half of it on day 9 with some buddies and it was good. I bottled the rest on day 11 and two weeks later it was even better, very much like a Newcastle brown ale. Very happy with my new toy.

By the way I had a problem with one of the attachments on the onederbrew and contacted the owner. He sent me a replacement right away. Great customer service.
Regards,
Mike

I would really like to see a "cone" only version. No Pressure valve. But drilled and ready to go. No "carbing". Basiclly a "convert your 5 gallon bucket to conical" only. Legs too. So...
The cone + legs + 2 spigots + Valve and stem for CO2 release + gasket and clamp ring.

How much?

Edit:

And not to be rude. But the website really needs to be updated. Each product or "kit" needs its own page.
Like in this thread people assumed that "We do not recommend pressurizing and do not guarantee your bucket " meant YOUR bucket as well. since both products are on the same page. The website needs to be brought into 2013. It looks like it was made in 2001 to be honest.

It wouldn't be hard at all to do that... all you need to do it take the rubber plug out of the bottom of the bucket and stick an airlock in. Done.

Yeah. I asked for pics of the inside of the corny conversion but never got one. Looks like their kickstarter is going to fail.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Looks like blichmann is making something similar with their cornical. The 2nd gen onderbrew looks more appealing to me compared to their (onderbrew corny keg conical) as I'm sure it's cheaper... and 250 for a upside down keg with a plastic cone attachment seems steep. Not as steep as their 950+ refrigerated 5 gal version though lol... way better options in that price range. I like the concept but their dreaming when it comes to pricing those things. Hopefully blichmann is taking note on the price point concern!

Back