Corona Label Removal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChefyTim

SudsChef
Reaction score
Anyone know how to remove the labels/paint off Corona bottles?

I have a Red Ale I thought might look pretty cool in clear bottles.

Thanks

never tried to remove them, I have one that somebody left at my house and I was planning on just leaving the paint when I use it. If I had 50 of them I would try to clone Corona and see if people could tell the difference. Not a huge fan of Corona, but that would be a fun challenge. anyway I would try a razor blade to remove the labels if you already have the bottles. If you were just going to drink some Corona to get clear bottles to use perhaprs you should consider drinking some Newcastle instead. They use clear bottles with regular labels.

A quick soak in the paint stripper of your choice (Home Depot/Lowes has a section devoted to it). Followed by really good rinsing should take care of it.

Really
, really good rinsing.

I find that if a friend brings corona over, the easiest way to prep the bottles for use in home brewing, is to place them gently into a half filled recycle bin full of other recyclables. *grin*

Drunkensatyr said:
I find that if a friend brings corona over, the easiest way to prep the bottles for use in home brewing, is to place them gently into a half filled recycle bin full of other recyclables. *grin*

Ya, that would be my approach too. If they're a HUGE pain, why bother?

why not just get a different clear bottle...like miller highlife or something

mot said:
why not just get a different clear bottle...like miller highlife or something

Miller is twist off...

I would not bother with clear bottles, you have to be really carefull how you store them or else your beer will skunk. It does not take much time for UV light to effect your beer.

Corona paint is baked on and I think you would have a real difficult time completely removing the paint. After trying to clean up 2 cases of bottles and then have your beer turn skunky you might regret the effort...

I use them regurlarly and have no problem with skunking as long as I keep them in the dark. If I had to try to remove the painted on labels I would do as some of the others have said and recycle them.
Not worth the effort IMO.

ChefyTim said:
Anyone know how to remove the labels/paint off Corona bottles?

I have a Red Ale I thought might look pretty cool in clear bottles.

Thanks

talked to a guy at thomas creek brewery about this. my concern was that the paint would contaminate sanitation solution and get inside bottles. he assured me that the label is ceramic and has been fired on (corsendonk abbey ale bottles) and it would not contaminate solution. i tried all kind of solutions, razors, and steel wool..as far as i know-that label isnt coming off.

Drunkensatyr said:

Funny. I checked in because I like red stripe and the bottles and thought that this would translate. It does, and I guess starzan is worth a try.

Corona bottles are taller than most typical 12 oz. bottles, and they don't fit in the cases that I have. I personally don't buy Corona, but if someone brings some over, I just pitch the bottles.

I just soaked a bunch of Corona bottles in Starsan for about a week. The key is to remove them from the Starsan and let them dry. The labels flake off like they were a sand crust. It was much easier than scrubbing them when they were wet.

Nice, Brent in Aurora......something good came out of this thread other than, just toss them corona bottles!!!!!! Nice work and thanks, I have a S%^t ton of red stripe bottles from my brother, I will try this!!!!!!! Any certain technique, or do they just scrape off once dry?

I've soaked other bottles with painted on labels in a 50/50 solution of CLR and usually after about 24 hours the paint wipes right off.

use pool acid it removes it in about half a second just remember to wear gloves. also helps to cap your bottles first so you don't get any inside

CLR, Lime-a-way, etc will remove most of the paint in about a day. Starsan also works, but takes longer, but will work also.

I put about a half bottle CLR in a bucket fill corona bottles with water stand in bucket, then fill bucket to cover paint. Soak and a hit tough spots with a bit of scotchbrite and they come out crystal clear.

I usually buy a few Samuel Smth beers from time to time and remove the
labels.Although,I think they are 22 oz.But they are clear bottles and cap well.

Corona bottles are taller than most typical 12 oz. bottles, and they don't fit in the cases that I have. I personally don't buy Corona, but if someone brings some over, I just pitch the bottles.

Same here. Pacifico is also taller than regular 12oz, but they are amber and have paper labels. I keep Pacifico, but I need to have Pacifico cases for the height.

I actually bought a couple of there brown 32 oz familiar bottles that i wanted to use for gifts. I was wondering how i was going to remove the label. Gona start my starsan soak tomorrow.:rockin:

Back