Storing a spare SCOBY.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewTimer

Reaction score
So I have my first batch going now, going with the continuous method. Once everything is up and going I want to have a spare going in case of infection. I was think of taking a clean mason jar and pouring some tea in there with a fresh batch of tea and sugar.

My question is what to do after that. Do I just keep it at room temp? Do I stash in the fridge? Do I have to keep feeding it every so often?

Also is there I better way to start my own SCOBY? Happyherbalist says you can slice up the mushroom in the continuous brew. Would it then be ok to take a chunk of that and put it in with some already fermented tea and fresh tea and sugar?

we've just kept a spare in the fridge. just add some of your last batch of kombucha to a plastic ziplock bag with the spare scoby and set it in the fridge. It will last a month or so in there. By that time if youre continuously brewing, you'll have a new spare to replace it with. We end up with more scobys than we know what to do with, so having a spare on hand has never been an issue.

As for starting a new scoby, you should be able to cut a piece of one to use without a problem. We get a new one about every 2 batches we do, which is about once a month.

i keep missing the kombucha posts. but here's my $.02

i've left scobies for months at a time. i just leave them in the jar with whatever tea they've fermented. every so often i'll add fresh tea/sugar, but i don't refrigerate or anything. just make sure to swirl the jar every few days to keep mold from growing on the top layer. i've never had an issue with the scobies doin it this way.

I did the same thing when I was actively brewing K, I kept them in a spare jar with some K to cover. They are always very active when used and they multiply like crazy. Some people call them SCOBY hotel or SCOtel.

Ryan

Back