Little Water Chemistry Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bh10

Reaction score
So lately Ive been making lagers and dark beers b/c they've turn out great, excellent beers. Now my IPA's and hoppier Pale Ales, all have been off. So after trying different techniques, then trying different waters, Spring Water and drinking water from the store, to using tap water, they've still all been off. I have a water softener water which after reading now might be why my lagers and darker maltier beers might be trying out pretty damn good, but my hoppier beers are throwing off flavors.

Now Im wanting to dive head first into making my own water, since after trying everything, Im tracing back to the water. Im going to get some Distilled Water from the store and start from scratch. I was wondering if some one can give me some good starting numbers on what I should be trying to hit, or maybe post up the ezwater spread sheet, so I can copy your water, if you've had success. Thanks. :mug:

This is exactly what the Water Primer in the Stickies is for.

OK read the whole thing, lots of info to comprehend, posted a water sheet Im going to give a try, if it looks right. I had another question I just ask here.

I should just use gypsum and calcium chloride and nothing else at first? But if I do that w/ 100% DI Ill have no Magnesium, Bicarbonate and Alkalinity, but looking at the spreadsheet, looks like they're all benefical, looks like I should add some Epsom salt and maybe chalk to, yes, no?

The recipe is 45% Pale Malt, 35% Vienna, 15% Munich II, and 5% Crystal 90, if that matters.

OK read the whole thing, lots of info to comprehend, posted a water sheet Im going to give a try, if it looks right. I had another question I just ask here.

I should just use gypsum and calcium chloride and nothing else at first? But if I do that w/ 100% DI Ill have no Magnesium, Bicarbonate and Alkalinity, but looking at the spreadsheet, looks like they're all benefical, looks like I should add some Epsom salt and maybe chalk to, yes, no?

The recipe is 45% Pale Malt, 35% Vienna, 15% Munich II, and 5% Crystal 90, if that matters.

Keep reading. :D

The primer thread is the bare minimum that you should be doing. The rest of the stuff is important too, but takes more time to wrap your head around.

Keep reading. :D

The primer thread is the bare minimum that you should be doing. The rest of the stuff is important too, but takes more time to wrap your head around.

I have been, man this stuff is confusing at first. :drunk:

Bicarbonate is seldom needed and if it is it is for dark beers. Magnesium is generally not needed. The malt itself contains plenty of it for coenzyme duty. Chalk should never be added to brewing water except by advanced practitioners who understand how to do it and the consequences of doing it.

The recipe is 45% Pale Malt, 35% Vienna, 15% Munich II, and 5% Crystal 90, if that matters.[/QUOTE]

Back