What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Little bit of a late dinner tonight but went with something light. This beer just reminds me how great Amarillo can be. If it wasn't trickling into stout season and my to-brew list wasn't so long I'd have to throw some sort of single hop pale up next

ForumRunner_20131015_203014.jpg

I agree. Its hard to say what actually makes a triple. If you did a blind tsting of DIPA next to TIPA, it would be hard to tell the difference. I have tasted some that hit you super hard with hops. But freshness is a key.

I would venture to say that a true triple IPA is just a fresh American barleywine. Keeping the body of a DIPA and adding more hops doesn't make a triple IPA since a typical DIPA already well past the threshold for human detection.

Deep Ellum Double Brown Stout. Oatmeal Baltic Porter? It's pretty good, but light in body. Doesn't really compare to other better porters I've had recently.

image-1108957503.jpg

I would venture to say that a true triple IPA is just a fresh American barleywine. Keeping the body of a DIPA and adding more hops doesn't make a triple IPA since a typical DIPA already well past the threshold for human detection.

Pretty much. I feel like it gets to the point where adding more hops at whirlpool or flameout or whatever you want to call it, can only add so much to the actual beer. Its lamost like it plateaus and cant get more "intense". Not sure I have ever had a beer where I said "Oh man! That is WAY over hopped!". It can get more bitter, and different shades of hops but i dont think it can be overdone. So, lets call it a triple and add more hops haha.

I am on my 2nd glass of Apfelwine. Not sure its the right choice. Might be feeling it tomorrow. At least I dont have work in the morning. :tank:

On my third one of these since I got home from work. Certainly good, but not $15 a 4 pack good. Not entirely sure why brewers started calling them triple IPAs. There's nothing in any "triple IPA" that I've tried that distinguishes it from a double IPA. I thought the IBU arms race was over. Anyway, good beer, nice New Zealand hop character, but I'd take GB or Flower Power over this any day.

I think the triple IPA is just a marketing ploy to get people to think if double is good, then triple must be better. I'd much rather have a nicely balanced IPA with great aroma than a beer that has the malt bill cranked to increase ABV and a ton of hops added just because.

Coffee ... at least last night I didn't wake up with a coughing fit so maybe this cold is finally on its way out.

Coffee here too. I have to get up at 5:30am to pick up my son from 2nd job. Dang chest cold went to my head. Can't wait till it's gone.

mcbaumannerb said:
I think the triple IPA is just a marketing ploy to get people to think if double is good, then triple must be better. I'd much rather have a nicely balanced IPA with great aroma than a beer that has the malt bill cranked to increase ABV and a ton of hops added just because. Coffee ... at least last night I didn't wake up with a coughing fit so maybe this cold is finally on its way out.
Agreed! There too many nice doubles to give way to some overbearing marketed price hiked brew! F F wild rice DIPA, Pliny, Ghondi Bot...... The list goes on

Coffee get to go see the hand surgeon for my post op visit latter today to make sure my paw is healing properly :)

You know why I love homebrew? I drank a bit over a gallon of beer last night between my IPA, Gabes, and my neighbors crappy saison. Got nice and drunk to the point that I was slurring a bit mostly on an empty stomach without hydrating.

Wake up at 7 no headache, no fuss.

Quality ingredients+quality process= no hangover.

You know why I love homebrew? I drank a bit over a gallon of beer last night between my IPA, Gabes, and my neighbors crappy saison. Got nice and drunk to the point that I was slurring a bit mostly on an empty stomach without hydrating.

Wake up at 7 no headache, no fuss.

Quality ingredients+quality process= no hangover.

Suppose my beer gives my family heads aches or just blames it on it lol. Dont diss your neighbor crappy saison. At least your neighbor brews. No one near me brews that i know. Need to empty all this beer i have lying around.

Suppose my beer gives my family heads aches or just blames it on it lol. Dont diss your neighbor crappy saison. At least your neighbor brews. No one near me brews that i know. Need to empty all this beer i have lying around.

He used to brew in the 80s stopped for awhile and started again a few months ago I need to invite him over for a brew day help him with updating his process some. (Also need to teach him that 3711 is the devils yeast)

On my street here there is a guy that grows over an acre of hops, one that keeps bees for mead honey, and then this older guy who dropped off the saison. 7 houses, 4 people who brew. And there is only one lhbs for over 200 miles. I imagine business is good.

I'll bet. Why all the hatred for 3711? Nice community, I have a LHBS 5 mins away and probably do not have that concentration in my general area.

My lhbs is about 20 minutes away, but they are the last one in the state for about 300 miles north, and 200 south. East west roads don't really exist in Maine.

And 3711 just produces an inferior product, I've never had a 3711 beer that I enjoyed, and it sells like hotcakes.

Just stocked up on this round of Enjoy By. I'm finally moving into a more homebrew friendly abode, so hopefully I should be pumping out some more of the good stuff after a 7 month hiatus. Fingers crossed I'll get a few more extract batches under my belt to get back into the swing of things then move over to 2.5 gallon all grain stovetop brews for the winter and 5 gallon all grain when the weather gets nice and warm again!

Drinking water when what I really want is coffee. Can't drink the hotel coffee anymore and I didn't have time to stop at the local coffee shop.

Getting an invite to a 4 hour meeting 10 minutes before the meeting is supposed to start makes me :mad:

Drinking water when what I really want is coffee. Can't drink the hotel coffee anymore and I didn't have time to stop at the local coffee shop.

Getting an invite to a 4 hour meeting 10 minutes before the meeting is supposed to start makes me :mad:

Hotel lobby coffee isn't an option either? I doubt the skanks wash their undies in those pots

He used to brew in the 80s stopped for awhile and started again a few months ago I need to invite him over for a brew day help him with updating his process some. (Also need to teach him that 3711 is the devils yeast)

On my street here there is a guy that grows over an acre of hops, one that keeps bees for mead honey, and then this older guy who dropped off the saison. 7 houses, 4 people who brew. And there is only one lhbs for over 200 miles. I imagine business is good.

Just need someone to start growing barley and build a malter and you'll be all set! :mug:

Back