tripel recipe, any feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jigidyjim

Reaction score
Just put together a tripel recipe, mixing info from several books. Never made a tripel... any feedback? i want it to be a little hoppy. I'm more concerned about making a good beer than making an authentic tripel.

5 Gallon Batch
OG: 1.075
FG: 1.010
ABV: 8.7%
IBU:36

Partial Mash:
- 7 lbs Belgian Pilsen (57.1%)
- 0.25 lbs Belgian Aromatic (2%) (or munich)

90 min Boil:
- results of partial mash
- 3 lbs DME (24.5%) (Pilsner, if they have it, otherwise light).
- 2 lbs candi sugar (16.3%) (or substitute)
- 1 oz Northern Brewer @ 90
- 0.75 oz Styrian Golding @ 30
- 0.75 oz Styrian Golding @ flame out

Wyeast 3787 (or similar)

After fermentation completes, dry hop with 1 oz Northern Brewer. I'll probably just dry hop in primary for ~5 days then cold crash.

Bottle condition. I'm not planning on pitching more yeast during bottle conditioning.

The hops were chosen mainly cuz I have leftover hops I want to use up...

Thanks!

Personally I wouldn't want a hoppy tripel but you do so the hops are fine for what you are trying to do.

However, I do think you are going too high on the sugar. 2lbs is 16% which will seriously dry out your beer. Maybe moreso than you want.

Thanks. I'll consider dropping the sugar after reading a bit more, and also consider changing the yeast!

Couple tips for high gravity beers, too:

1) Do a starter or pitch at least 2 vials/packs
2) Consider adding the sugar later. Like, let fermentation start and when it begins to slow down after a few days, add the sugar. That can get the yeast active again and they'll mow through everything that's left. If there's enough simple sugar in the original wort, the yeast just eat that and go to sleep, ignoring the malt.

I've adjusted the recipe to be 8 lbs pilsner grain and 1.5 lbs sugar, dropping the sugar to below 12%.

I think I'll give this a shot now...

Latest posts

Back