Accidentally Froze my Beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MirImage

Reaction score
I made a Belhaven Clone on the 17th and kegged it the 1st. On the 2nd I checked on the pressure (I was doing 1 day at 30psi and then brought it down to 10 psi). I forgot to put the temp regulator back into the freezer and the beer is mostlikely frozen solid (minus the alc.).

All the equipment that is in there is the keg the lines and the co2 tank.

Right now I have the freezer unplugged with the top open to bring up the temp. I am guessing all the yeast are dead. I used White Labs Edinburgh 028. I know I don't need the yeast to carbonate the beer but I don't think the beer was conditioned enough.

Any help or thoughts on what I can do to salvage this? I guess most importantly did I damage my co2 regulator/tank by freezing it?

if it was done fermenting when you kegged it, I don't see how you could have ruined your beer. Maybe your keg and lines but your beer should be ok (i've never had defrosted beer so I dunno). Killing the yeast isn't going to do anything, even if you didn't freeze it, chilling the keg would have put the yeast right to sleep anyways.

You Co2 tank should be fine, CO2 freezes at a SUPER low temp. Lower then any normal home freezer can reach.

I forgot about and left a corney on my deck last year to cold crash and it got cold overnight. The beer was darn good. It should be fine.

would you suggest doing as I am and just letting it unthaw with the freezer off and open? I didn't plan on trying this for another 2-3 weeks so time is on my side

I froze everything before (sounds like the same reason too) brought the temp up then reset to serving temp....everything still worked, and the beer was great too.

I wouldn't unplug the fridge and leave the top open. Instead, close the lid, set the temp controller at the proper temp and walk away. I would let it slowly warm back up to the serving temp vs thawing out, being above the serving temp, then having to cool back down. IMO

Back