Carrot wine.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Any one know if I need to use pectin enzyme with carrots. I'd of thought it was mainly needed with fruit but I've seen parsnip wine recipes with this addition.

I'm using 4lb of carrots chopped and boiled. I'm just fermenting the liquid not the carrots.

I have one on the go now - It's in secondary. I didn't use pectin enzyme and it's looking good so far!

Is carrot wine any good. my dad opens a bottle of his homemade carrot wine every couple of years (was undrinkable for the first 10!) and it is starting to come right. Of course now down to the last couple of bottles.

I used.

4lb carrots
0.5lb raisins
2.75lb sugar
1 orange
2 lemon
1 vanilla teabag
1 sprig rosemary
1 gallon water

Boiled until carrots where soft
Topped of with water. Used nutrient.

I was aiming for around 1100 but ended up with 1150 (I'll top off a little after fermentation settles)

orfy said:
I used.

4lb carrots
0.5lb raisins
2.75lb sugar
1 orange
2 lemon
1 vanilla teabag
1 sprig rosemary
1 gallon water

Boiled until carrots where soft
Topped of with water. Used nutrient.

I was aiming for around 1100 but ended up with 1150 (I'll top off a little after fermentation settles)
Rosemary and vanilla notes together seem strange to me (a cup of plain black tea is usually used for tannin to help age and balance a country wine). The rest is fine. Citrus and carrot are a nice combination.

I've just bottled my test 2.5 litre batch and it's made a nice "sippable" wine.
It's strong and It's definitely not of the throw it back large gulp variety.
It's got no carrot taste at all and very subtle flavours.
I have another 5 litres that is still cloudy in the demijohn so I'll leave that for a while.

Carrot wine needs a fair amount of aging from what I've read. My 1 UK Gal batch of 'Quelle horreur' is still clearing. Thanks for the reminder - I need to rack/bottle a load of wine to clear some space for the summer! :)

orfy said:
Any one know if I need to use pectin enzyme with carrots. I'd of thought it was mainly needed with fruit but I've seen parsnip wine recipes with this addition.

I'm using 4lb of carrots chopped and boiled. I'm just fermenting the liquid not the carrots.

I bottled some carrot wine last October. My recipe used 1 tsp. of pectic enzyme. I made 3 gallons. It fermented out dry, clear, nice golden color, and my sampling tasted good. The recipe said to bottle age for a year, so I'm trying to keep my grubby hands off!

Twinmaples

Back