Belgian Dubbel taste -- interesting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heywolfie1015

Reaction score
Last night, I cracked open a Belgian Dubbel a buddy and I brewed at the beginning of September. Bottled mid-October and basically left it in a dark closet until now. OG was 1.08, FG 1.022, ABV 7.7%.

I was expecting something...more fruity, I guess. What I got tasted like a Newcastle on steroids. :p Strong nutty flavor, a little fruit in the background, and a subdued-but-hot finish. I suppose this means I need to let it condition more, but it was an interesting first taste.

Anybody ever have a similar result with their dubbels? Here is the recipe, a kit from my LHBS:

Extract:
6 lbs. Pale LME
3 lbs. Munich LME
0.25 lb. Dark Candi Syrup (might have been 0.5 lb; I forget)

Steeped Grains:
4 oz. Caravienne
2 oz. English Crystal 37
6 oz. Special B
4 oz. Biscuit Malt

Hopping Schedule:
Styrian Goldings (4.0%) 1.6 oz -- 60 min
Saaz .3 oz -- Flameout

Fermentation Temp. was between 70-75, and I used Wyeast 1214 Abbey Ale. Made a relatively small starter with a smack pack (~0.5L), and then pitched that and another smack pack to start her off.

When you say hot finish, is that a hot alcoholic finish? If you fermented up to 75° air temp, your beer may have gotten as warm as 80° - it sounds like the yeast got warm enough to produce some fusel alcohols. You might try keeping it at or under 70° next time.

When you say hot finish, is that a hot alcoholic finish?

Yup. From what I understood, the yeast was fine with temps that high, so I'm a little confused. One thought I had is that it might not have been enough yeast, so it got stressed and produced the alcohol flavor.

That said, I'm not disappointed at all. Even if it stays a bit "hot," very enjoyable drink so far. I'm thinking about just leaving it until January and then trying it again.

When you say hot finish, is that a hot alcoholic finish? If you fermented up to 75° air temp, your beer may have gotten as warm as 80° - it sounds like the yeast got warm enough to produce some fusel alcohols. You might try keeping it at or under 70° next time.

I disagree, some of thoes belgian strains should be fermented above 70 degrees in order to get that "belgian" flavor and fruityness. I ramp my dubbel recipe up pitching temp at 70 all the way up to 83 by the 2-3 day, I would even say that that if the poster wanted even more fruit in the taste, they should up the temp and amount of dark candi syrup a little and down the amount of crystal.

from what i have read, those high gavity beers definitly need more time to condition. i would try it 6 months from the time you bottled it. that hot flavor should meld. think i might make one in june to be ready for the winter.

Back