your opinion on my water report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohad

Reaction score
I finally was able to get a water report.
I'd like to have your opinion on how to treat my water for common beer styles.

Ca - 57
Cl - 205
HCO3 - 182
Mg - 29
Na - 112
SO4 - 63.1
pH - 7.7

so, what do you think ?
I think I have too much Na and Cl for many beers. Is this treatable without dilutions?

looks good for darker beers that you want to enhance the maltiness/sweetness. If you are a pale fan, you will need to dilute that water with some distilled or RO water to lower the hardness and chloride if you like hops, then build back any minerals you still need such as SO4 to get your SO4/CL ratio going the other way.

In my noob guestimation and with the aid of TH's spreadsheet, you're good for malty dark amber beers. It would be really bad for a pale ale or IPA. The good news is that I think a healthy dose of Gypsum, like 6 grams in 5 gallons would get your RA low enough for a pale beer and bring the Cl/So4 ratio closer to balanced. To accentuate bitter and reduce Na, dilute with 25% RO/distilled and use 8 grams gypsum.

Similar to my water but it's higher in sodium and chloride which will accentuate malt sweetness. I would recommend mixing 1:1 with RO water and then using the spreadsheets or tools suggested to adjust mash pH and treat your sparge water. For hoppier beers you may want to dilute 2:1 with RO and use gypsum.

How can you brew offline?

Haha, j/k (kind of). I never thought of that scenario - but I guess its good that all the bases have been covered.

Back