Holding bottles at cooler temp - effect on carbonation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdwmonster

Reaction score
I've had my first brew in the bottle for three weeks, and cracked one open last night (cooled in the fridge first) - there was good head, but not a lot of bubbles in suspension. My bottles have been in a muck bucket, coverd with a towel on a cabinet in my basement - the temps hoover between about 60-65 deg. I fermented here as well (APA), and had no issues - fermentation finished in about 3 days, moved to secondary after 7.

I'm assuming that if I give them another week or so, they will carbonate fine - assuming the yeast is working, just working slower.....

Is that right, or am I off base? Hopefully, that is correct, I really don't have a warmer place to store them.

Sorry if this is a "dead horse" topic - I tried the search, but didn't find what I was looking for...

I was storing my first batch (blond ale) at 60-62* during carbonation and after two weeks I popped the top on the first bottle (after 2 weeks in bottles) and, although it was carbonated, it was still a little flat. It has been two weeks since then and each bottle I have of it seems to be more and more carbonated. So I would just give it some more time. the temps we are carbonating at, seem to take quite a while to get it carbonated. Good luck and happy brewing.

Latest posts

Back