Has anyone elevated their HLT/HERMS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shtank

Reaction score
I'm wanting to build a two tier all electric setup. With the hlt being elevated. My concern is recirculating through the Herms coil going to be a problem?

My HLT/HERMS combo is elevated above my MLT and Kettle. There are no problems with this assuming you are using a decent pump like March/Chugger/etc...

I'm using a March. How long are your lines?

The 2nd tier of my stand (where the HERMS is) is about 24" higher than the surface my HLT and Kettle are on. My March pump is then about 18" lower than that. So my line from MLT to pump is probably 36", then likely 36-48" from the pump up to the HERMS, then another 36" line back to the MLT. I have 25' of 3/8" copper in the HERMS and I don't have flow issues at all (I need to throttle the pump back a lot).

The 2nd tier of my stand (where the HERMS is) is about 24" higher than the surface my HLT and Kettle are on. My March pump is then about 18" lower than that. So my line from MLT to pump is probably 36", then likely 36-48" from the pump up to the HERMS, then another 36" line back to the MLT. I have 25' of 3/8" copper in the HERMS and I don't have flow issues at all (I need to throttle the pump back a lot).

Cool. Thanks Ryan, that what I needed to hear. Do you have any pictures of your rig?

Here's an old pic I found.

IMAG0024.jpg

Back