I LOVE South Texas!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I've only been here 2 weeks. And it's been friggin' cold. My neighbor jusgt told me, "This is the coldest two weeks ever on record! But it's getting warmer and back to normal. I'm getting my boat out this weekend- wanna go fishing?!?"

I love this area! I love the people, the food, the fishing, the kayaking, the sunshine, the water.

I have a couple of pictures:

I was out in my kayak in shallow water in front of our house, and saw a "parade" Of roseate spoonbills:
DSCF5386.jpg

Having lunch the same day:
DSCF5397.jpg

Bob and his catch in front of the rental house:
DSCF5367.jpg

By the way, I've had the best BBQ and tamales ever. And we're already planning for next winter. Same neighborhood, for sure. Probably the same house, but it's for sale so that's iffy. If we can't stay here, there is another house down the street that we'll rent. The dog loves Texas, but he didn't seem to mind the sub-30 degree temperatures last night so we don't trust his discernment.

The only bad part- I'm missing my grandson really bad. And brewing. I have to Skype my lil buddy, and find someone to brew with next year. Otherwise, this is the perfect place!

I hope to end up in north east Texas aka Tyler some time soon. I'll be flying out for a job interview on tues the 22nd.

*crossing fingers*

its not really texas I am looking forward to its the pay increase and getting away from mooching family and friends.

but I do hear Texas has some pretty good BBQ
-=jason=-

North of Rockport. About 30 miles from Corpus Christi.

You're invited to come for a visit if you want! I'll pick you up at the CC airport.

LOL I used to be stationed over at NASCC while I was in the navy and still know air traffic controllers down there . . . I'll drive down :p

That actually is high on the retirement are list, the SWMBO LOVED it down there when I took her a few years back. June is a whole different animal then August down there though.

**EDIT**
BTW keep your eyes peeled when you're out in the kayak. It wasnt uncommon when I was down there to see pods of dolphins in the intercostal waterway down there.

I love the corpus area too. Id move down there if I could talk the wife into it. I perfer Port Aransas to Corpus. Fishing, food, and people are world class! The surfing isn't bad either.

Maybe its time to send a few resumes that way. ;)

Henceforth Yooper and Bob shall be called "The Snowbirds".

And I've never really thought much about going to Texas until I started getting older. I think it would be a very cool place to visit for about 2-3 months out of the year! And by cool I mean WARM!

Honestly winters in Corpus weren't really warm from what I remember. Cold (30-50s) and damp, but yeah nothing like the midwest. The best part about Corpus is that even when it gets up to nutdragging hot in the summer you can always head out to Padre Island. . . . well and Boat n' Net :p.

Oh Yoop BTW if you are looking for a half decent pizza and a good beer selection check out B&J's Pizza. It's off SPID (like everything else) in Corpus. Had 300 different beers when I was in there 20 years ago and stopped in on my road trip and it looked like nothing changed . . . I mean nothing I think my bar stool (the one my iguana ripped) was still there.

**EDIT**
found the website for ya
http://www.bandjspizza.com/

Corpus is a great area... I grew up further south in the Rio Grande Valley, and now live up in Austin! I just can't let go of Texas :)

We're glad to have you here!

We're already making arrangements to rent either the same house next year, or another one in the neighborhood. I found a church I like and I've been socializing a bit with some friends in Port Aransas and their friends. I've checked out books from the library, gone to a science lecture, and of course been fishing!

I've never been here in the winter before, but I was in the McAllen/Pharr area in July and August a few years ago and went to SPI from there. Bob would NOT like S. Padre, I can tell you that. But we both love this area, and I'm already saying that I'd like to stay longer next time!

I'm getting into birding and today we're going up the street to the entrance of the Aransas National Wildlife Refuge. (It runs down the side of our neighborhood to the bay, but the entrace is a few miles north). Hiking is also one of my hobbies, so I'm hoping to be able to do a bit of that today since it's cool out and too windy for fishing.

Pumbaa, if you decide to hop on a plane and come for a little visit, we have an extra bedroom or two!

I may not ever get down to Corpus this time- there is so much to do HERE! I do want to see the Lex but I want to go to Mustang Island State Park first, and do more fishing, and more kayaking, before I go anywhere else. You know me- I'm a small town girl, and I'm loving Rockport/Fulton so much. Right next to the causeway is the old bridge- it's now a fishing pier that goes almost all the way across the bay. I haven't even had time to fish there, or kayak from that point yet. The time is going so fast already!

I miss my grandon, though. My lil buddy probably is forgetting me. Good thing we have Skype!

we went out earlier today and saw a pair of whooping cranes and a few big alligators and tons of birds. Then we went kayaking and oystering. Fun day!

*jealous* :D

Glad the trip has been great! :mug:

It has! I got Bob to go to a couple of bars tonight. He likes staying home, and says we have better beer at home. And he's right.

Anyway, we went to a dive and had a couple of bad beers, so we went to a different place. Seriously, it was 7:45 and that place was in full swing. A cowboy band, tons of people doing the two-step and drinking and whooping it up.

We had a beer, and then came home. I thought it was the perfect bar in one respect- it was seriously going on before 8 PM! That means Bob could still make his 9 PM curfew and still be rowdy. He just rolled his eyes at me, and still went to bed by 9:30.

Very nice! I spent my younger years in the Houston area. I miss the weather. My wife has family in New Orleans and has been busting my chops to move there. It's tempting... :)

I lived in Austin as a child and my Dad used to take me to Corpus Christi (or Port O Conner) to fish every year. We caught tons of specs just like in that pic of Bob. I loved it but that was from a child's perspective (still is to a large degree!).

I'd kinda like to move back to Austin. BBQ and live music...couple of my faves.:rockin:

Yeah Yoop, you've have caught the coldest weather we've had, at least this year. This week should be better, highs Mid 70's lows mid 60's. I'm really glad you're enjoying it.

I thought it was the perfect bar in one respect- it was seriously going on before 8 PM!

I grew up here and it was like that, especially in the little towns like that, as far back as I can remember.

i love the corpus area too. Id move down there if i could talk the wife into it. I perfer port aransas to corpus. Fishing, food, and people are world class! The surfing isn't bad either.

Maybe its time to send a few resumes that way. ;)

+1

Yeah Yoop, you've have caught the coldest weather we've had, at least this year. This week should be better, highs Mid 70's lows mid 60's. I'm really glad you're enjoying it.

I grew up here and it was like that, especially in the little towns like that, as far back as I can remember.

It's in the mid- 70s today. Much better!

I gave my dog a bath yesterday, so he could dry off on the deck and enjoy the sunshine. I'm having a blast- doing some birding and fishing, and lots and lots of walking and paddling.

The only bad news is one keg kicked already, and the second is about to. An empty kegerator is a sad thing.

Just make sure you're out of there before summer hits.. Spent two summers in the Bayous and area around Beaumont/Port Arthur as a kid...
Either that or get used to 8-10 showers a day..

That's my only knock about South Texas... Most of my relatives live in that area...

perfect excuse to run down to Corpus and hit B&J's

Maybe! We're only going to be here another few weeks and I'm not sure when we'll have time. We're busy- being retired is a lot of work you know! We were up very early this morning, and went all day long. Bob is out fishing right now, and I'm sure he'll be really tired when he gets back. It's not easy playing that hard for 16 hours a day, you know! :D

The important question is: What was the science lecture on? This is coming from the science/ecology nerd.

The important question is: What was the science lecture on? This is coming from the science/ecology nerd.

For us? Today? We did shore birds last night (lecture) and this AM (field). Last week, it was the Science on a Sphere at the Bay Education Center. Later this week, we're hearing a lecture on the whooping cranes that were produced in a flock in Florida as a "secondary" flock if something happened to this group by one of the guys who worked on that project.

This area is amazing for habitat diversity- salt water flats, oyster reefs, freshwater marshes, estuaries, oak forests, etc- that I'm just learning about. I'm not at all familar with that type of habitat, or the animals here, so it's been great fun learning about them a little bit.

Of course, we're spending lots of time in kayaks.

Glad you're having fun!

I've got quite a bit of family down in the Beaumont area and we've taken several trips down there.

The people are always extremely friendly, there's tons to do and its nice and warm. (I'm a Michigander myself!) Love Texas - always had a good time.

The lizards there both crack me up and creep me out in the same vein, haha.

Meh. Having fun is overrated. Working hard for small pay is where it's at! :rockin:

I'm so glad that you're living your dream! :D

Today is more fishing. It's already warm, but it's a little too windy to be out in kayaks so Bob will probably just go wadefishing and I'll fish off the pier and maybe pick up a few shells.

Bob got in late last night- well, late for Bob. Well after 9 PM! He had a blast catching speckled trout off of the lighted pier until his arm was tired. He's obsessed with catching a legal redfish now, though.

I have been seeing people catching black drum, sea trout, redfish, flounder, and sheepshead on the pier in the State Park across the highway. Right now, it's mostly the trout but you never know what's going to show up for sure!

My wife and I want to move to Texas but not sure what kinds of jobs are out there. Does anybody have any thoughts?

The fishing and kayaking above sure do make it a more tempting place to go!

It appears your staying close to Holiday Beach neighborhood. I've rented quite a few condos there. It looks like your having a blast. Have fun.

It appears your staying close to Holiday Beach neighborhood. I've rented quite a few condos there. It looks like your having a blast. Have fun.

I've never seen any condos in this area but that is exactly where we are! I love Lamar, too, and walk the dog by the Big Tree.

I'm sorry, I call every rental out there a condo :) .

We're actually planning on going up to Rockport for my daughters Spring Break, it's either there or Kerrville. Rockport/Fulton area is always nice and quiet, just what I like.

I should work for the Chamber of Commerce here or something. I'm tellling everyone how much I love it here. At least, this time of year!

We've met some nice people, and are going out fishing with a couple of different guys. I had some visitors from the church I've been going to, and everybody we've met is "good people".

Today is a day to go to the birding center and the beach, while the guys go out fishing.

Yesterday I was standing on our fishing beer, and I got splashed from the blow-hole of a bottle-nosed dolphin. A family was feeding/frollicking in shallow water and I got a little sprayed. It was so cool!

Yesterday I was standing on our fishing beer, and I got splashed from the blow-hole of a bottle-nosed dolphin. A family was feeding/frollicking in shallow water and I got a little sprayed. It was so cool!

You have a fishing beer? That's awesome. No wonder you are falling in love with that place.

You have a fishing beer? That's awesome. No wonder you are falling in love with that place.

Oh. Well, it's a fishing pier. But I am sure that a beer was involved. Maybe more than one, even!

Today I sat on the beach in my shorts and watched the waves. Bob did this:
DSCF5477.jpg

He hasn't caught too many redfish, but the speckled trout are practically jumping up on the pier. We're having a fish fry again very soon.

This is the season of festivals. There is a Mardi gras celebration tomorrow, sort of. And the OysterFest is coming up, along with the Whooping Crane Festival. I've met so many nice people!

Nice! Just got to work after shoveling a path to the car. Had drifts up past my knees this morning. After a week of warm weather, and losing all of our snow save for the piles by the driveway, winter is back.

You guys are making me want to go fishing, even though I suck at it.

Nice! Just got to work after shoveling a path to the car. Had drifts up past my knees this morning. After a week of warm weather, and losing all of our snow save for the piles by the driveway, winter is back.

You guys are making me want to go fishing, even though I suck at it.

If you fly to Corpus Christi, I'll pick you up and take you fishing!

We had a fish fry/fish broil last night with a new friend we met here. We had fried speckled trout, broiled flounder, and broiled black drum. I made a mango salsa to serve with it, with other things, and homemade crabapple wine. I had the doors and windows open, to get rid of some of the cooking fumes, and the ceiling fans on, and we listened to music and the palm trees rustling. It was about 78-80 degrees yesterday, but windy so it was very comfortable.

Bob is out fishing with a friend this morning, and I'm sitting on the deck watching the wading birds in the shallow water in front of me.

We're already making plans for next year- and what we're bringing that we didn't have this year.

It's too windy to kayak today and tomorrow, but I'll be going out again soon.

Back