Other uses for StarSan?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonnio

Reaction score
OK - so I have had a couple times over the last few weeks where the directions on something include do XXXX to sanitize. Every time I read that I think, I wonder if I could just spray it with StarSan and be done.

For instance, we just got a new humidifier, and the instructions were to fill it with a weak bleach solution then rinse thoroughly. Do you think that would be just as good to spray down, let dry and go to town?

Anyone ever tried something similar or have other uses for StarSan?

A sanitizer is a sanitizer. Bleach is cheaper, but if you don't want to deal with bleach, StarSan is a good but expensive alternative.

Yeah, I wouldn't mix StarSan up for just that, but since I always have 2 1/2 gallons on hand it is free to use for these types of little projects.

Star San leaves behind a high TDS film that can mess with things such as humidifiers (ie: that's why they recommend rinsing the bleach). Very generally, 1:10 bleach solution is a better all around sanitizer, and is much less expensive. I'll still always use Star San for brewing as it's ideal for those purposes.

That's interesting Pelikan - does it stay behind after rinsing, or does it just not have the no rinse function that it does when brewing?

That's interesting Pelikan - does it stay behind after rinsing, or does it just not have the no rinse function that it does when brewing?

It's no rinse for brewing in the sense that the high TDS/acid film left behind does not impart negative flavors, nor does it negatively impact the brew. But, that same film will mess with sensitive stuff such as humidifiers. Also, if you keep it on your counter top, it can get diluted and actually provide a nutrient for microbial growth (phosphorus from the phosphoric acid).

OK here we go... here's how starsan cost me 4,000 dollars.
I used it for the first time a few months ago. After making my mix I placed the starsan container on the counter... It bleached my counter top.. my wife was actually quite patient about it... considering This is a new house... and a NICE new kitchen...
well the end result is the uniform decision that we'll be buying granite for our counter as some point in the relative near future....
Geesh 4-8k I'm guessing.. starsan is EXPRENSIVE!

Yes I also have 3 rings (yes 3 before realizing, CRAP it's the starsan cap leaving those rings) on our new countertop. Not granite, but still nice and new in our first home! SWMBO was none to pleased.

Starsan, The new leader in kitchen remodeling and divorce!

We have one of the synthetic granite countertops in the kitchen and Starsan will dull the finish on that. That said, bleach is far more caustic. As far a Starsan being expensive, I could buy a lot of Starsan for the $60 golf shirt I ruined with bleach solution this summer.

My wife uses it in the kitchen. It's great for spraying down the cutting boards after using them for chicken or something like that.

It works pretty good at removing lime deposits in tea kettles, coffee pots, etc. I use just a little straight with no water or just a tiny bit. It takes a LOT of rinsing though to get the last bits of the detergent component out. Just watch the first boil as it can really foam like crazy if it wasn't rinsed enough

I use it for everything that needs to be sanitary.

Mix up 5 gallons in a water bottle carboy using RO or distilled water and it will last well over 2 years, if you let it. I think I calculated a cost per batch of about $2.00 total.

- Clean labels off bottles
- Sanitize baby bottles and accessories.
- sanitize cutting boards
- sanitize surfaces and de-stain laminate counters (using a spritz only)
- Sanitize the toilets (futile but it makes the wifey feel good)

details,man details.

Simple.Spray starsan mixed 1/2tsp.per 32oz. spray bottle.Spray stain until well saturated-stain looks as if it is disappearing into carpet pad.Blot dry,then clean up w/ clean water.Worked for me on light colored carpet.Don't know about colors/check on inconspicuous area.

What about RC-Cola stains?

Man I haven't had that stuff in years, I should find some.

Since I am RC and my cola is my homebrew ,I guess it would work well.The real rc cola is available everywhere here in the south.Just get one and a vanilla moon pie--MMMMM.:D

Back