Trying to make Hard Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoshFriday13

Reaction score
Hey everyone, first time poster, and first time brewer here. So, I have a question for you all.

I'm trying to make Hard Cider by fermenting apple cider. I'm using this website for reference because the recipe seems easy, and that it doesn't take very long.

My question is about the campaign yeast mentioned in there. Aside from buying it online (I've seen the sticky'd ingredients page), where would I be able to buy this at? Kroger's, Wal-Mart, or any other big chain store? Or would I have to go to some kind of local store (if so, can you give me an example)?

The recipe seems easy enough, but any tips about brewing hard cider (or brewing in general) are more than welcome. Thanks.

Welcome to HBT!

I glanced at the link you are using and have to say that anything fermented that claims to be ready to drink in one week pretty much says hooch in my mind.

Good cider is easy but it takes a while. Even if you want to drink "green" cider, it's still a month or two into the process. I second the suggestion that you try Ed Wort's award winning Apfelwein recipe with the link posted above.

We don't talk about distilling on this site! Since the OP didn't mention it, I suggest that it be dropped as it is illegal in this country.

sorry, just thought the thinly veiled "warning" was funny. post edited, try the apfelwein recipe!

As far as getting some champagne yeast, you almost certainly won't be able to get it at the grocery store. You'll need to find a local homebrew supply (LHBS). Without knowing where you live, go to maps.google.com and search for "homebrew loc:your city, state" (eg I would search for homebrew loc:minneapolis, mn).

You mention Kroger, though, so I know you're not in Mpls! Heh. Good luck!

Apfelwein is NOTHING like apple cider. Don't let the links here fool ya. It's nicknamed Prisonhoochfelwein for a reason :D.

You don't specifically need champagne yeast. I have had the best luck with nottingham and S04. Just get the jugs of apple CIDER (not juice!) from the store (or, if you can find the local unpasteurized stuff, that's even better), and pitch your yeast right into it. That's it! Be warned, though, it will take a few months before it's ready to drink.

I would actually stay away from the champagne yeast. I've used it and it ferments out way too dry in my opinion.

Apfelwein is NOTHING like apple cider. Don't let the links here fool ya. It's nicknamed Prisonhoochfelwein for a reason :D.

You don't specifically need champagne yeast. I have had the best luck with nottingham and S04. Just get the jugs of apple CIDER (not juice!) from the store (or, if you can find the local unpasteurized stuff, that's even better), and pitch your yeast right into it. That's it! Be warned, though, it will take a few months before it's ready to drink.

Ok, so I've heard people say anything from it will take a few months to a few weeks, to the one week specified in the recipe. How do you know when it is ready? I'm gettng that idea that the longer you let it ferment, the more potent it will be (yeast has more time to convert sugars into alcohol). What happens if I open it too early, or too late?

One other question: Taste aside, is it safe to drink something (say, to check the taste) before you are finished fermenting it?

Ok, so I've heard people say anything from it will take a few months to a few weeks, to the one week specified in the recipe. How do you know when it is ready? I'm gettng that idea that the longer you let it ferment, the more potent it will be (yeast has more time to convert sugars into alcohol). What happens if I open it too early, or too late?

One other question: Taste aside, is it safe to drink something (say, to check the taste) before you are finished fermenting it?

If you bottle too early, the bottles may explode. Length of time doesn't equal more alcohol- the yeast will only eat the fermentable sugars that are in the cider, no matter how long you let it sit.

Yes, it's safe to drink it early. You may get some unpleasant gastrointestinal effects, but it won't kill you.

Why the big rush? It's done when it's done. Yeast is a living organism, and takes as long as it takes. You can drink it in one week. It'll taste yeasty and have sediment in it. You can drink it in six months. It'll be crisp and clear and taste great.

To know when fermentation is finished, a hydrometer is used to ensure that all the fermentable sugars are gone. Other clues are that it will look clearer and the yeast will begin to fall out of suspension and coat the bottom of the carboy. When it's finished, some people like to carbonate it in the bottle for a sparkeling cider, and some like it still. Some people like to sweeten it before drinking. There are lots of variations!

JF13,

To help clarify (noob here as well), there is a difference between finished fermentation and being ready to drink.

While the fermentation might be done in a week or two does not mean it will taste its best. To help yourself, take hydrometer readings to confirm fermentation has stopped. Bottle it up. Then after 1-2 weeks, try a bottle. If it does not taste "right". Wait another 1-2 weeks. Try 1 again. Take notes (mental or otherwise). Repeat process.

You will notice that while it might be at its peak alcohol content, it is not at its peak taste within a few weeks of pitching the yeast. In fact I have noticed that it tastes very harsh, but will mellow.

Always question a recipe about when something is done and what it means to be done.

Good luck

i'm about a month in progress with edwort's apfelwein. followed his recipe except i used cider instead of juice. i pitched my yeast and nothin happend. prolly cuz there was potassium sorbate in the cider. so ... after a few days ... pitched another pack of yeast.... and its been goin bubble crazy for 3 weeks now. i know this doesn't really mean anything, but i figure as long as its bubbling every second or two, the yeast is still doin its thing so i won't even bother testing with a hydrometer yet.

to the original poster .... it's not gonna be a fast process.

Ok, so I have a hydrometer, but all it says on the label is how to tell what the alcohol content is. How can you tell if the fermentation process is done yet?
I suppose I should ask this first. How do you use a hydrometer? I have it, and I have the instructions on how to use it, but, in your own words, how do you use it?

Lol... heh, I'm full of questions. I've wanted to do this sort of thing for awhile (the distilling kind, but I know that isn't discussed here) and I've just taken the initiative to do so. Another question then. What would you say is the best first brew for a beginner. I define best as this: A brew that will is both easy to complete and teaches the basics of brewing. I don't have much equipment either, besides 2 5 gallon water jugs, a hydrometer, and a pack of balloon's serving as a carbonation lock. What are good pieces of equipment to buy? (I'm not looking for PERFECT yet, but rather anything that works) Would I be beter off buying a kit, or buying everything I need via Wal-mart?

Another question. Why do people carbonate their beverage? I'm used to canned beer, and I know the difference between flat and carbonated beer, but is there any point to it besides how it tastes/feels? I not asking HOW to carbonate your brew (I am still thinking about making my second batch here), but why.

Ok, first, Apfelwein, as good as it is, is not the same as hard cider.

Now, the Hydrometer will tell you what the Specific gravity is, and when you compare to the Original gravity, you can infer the amount of alcohol.

To know if the fermentation is complete, just take a reading on one day, wait a few days, then take another reading. If the readings change at all, then it's still going. If they stay the same, then it's done.

FYI - I like to add a bit of yeast to a small jug of cider and let it go just a little bit. Give it a bit of bite, and a bit of fizz. Not like real hard cider, but more like an more interesting normal cider. Only takes a few days and a pop bottle or two. Did that when I was a kid. Dad found out when the tupperware glass I had hiding behind the canned goods in the basement blew it's lid off. He just smiled a little bit and then went and put the rest of the cider out on the porch to "fizz up" a bit.

Don't let the cider ferment all the way it will turn in to apple wine. I have had best luck letting it ferment for about 5-6 days and then bottle it with no priming sugar. Fill a plastic soda bottle. Check the plastic bottle and when it gets hard put the whole batch in the fridge to stop fermentation. good luck

Don't let the cider ferment all the way it will turn in to apple wine. I have had best luck letting it ferment for about 5-6 days and then bottle it with no priming sugar. Fill a plastic soda bottle. Check the plastic bottle and when it gets hard put the whole batch in the fridge to stop fermentation. good luck

you like to gamble dont you?

Holy smokes! Exploding plastic bottles can injure someone and bottling actively fermenting anything is not a good idea.

BTW, cooling does not stop fermentation. It just slows it down but it's still happening.

So lets say I wanted to do a small 1 gallon batch to try it out. I would do:
1 gallon of apple juice
1/4 lbs of corn sugar
packet of wine yeast

My question is this...
How much priming sugar do I use when I bottle?

Priming sugar is about the same as with beer; 1 ounce per gallon. I have pushed it up a bit (about 6 oz) on a couple batches because I like it really bubbly and did not blow the bottle but the bottle cap dimple popped up.

If I have no bottling or corking equipment can I use mason jars or something like that?
And I need a cost-effective method as well because I'm pretty broke this paycheck...
Oh yeah one last thing, this is my first 5 gallon batch (well, my first batch ever anyway)
If I have no hydrometer, can I just wait a solid three weeks and bottle will it be okay?

Back