Red Ale Partigyle recipe advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jumbo82

Reaction score
This weekend I plan to brew up my first partigyle recipe. Last weekend I made a 10 gallon batch of pale ale using Safale US-05, so I'd like to reuse the yeast cakes in each of my 7 gallon buckets. I haven't made a red ale in a while and would like some recipe advice. BTW, I'm a fly sparger and use a 10 gallon rubbermaid cooler as a mash tun (I know, a bit on the small side for a heavy beer)

I'd like to have either 1) a 5 gal high gravity and 5 gal med gravity red ale, 2) a 5 gal high gravity red ale and a 5 gal med gravity "other" beer, or 3) a high gravity 5 gal "other" beer and a 5 gal med gravity red ale. In other words, I want two 5 gallon beers, at least one of which is some type of red ale (I hope thats not too confusing). I tried searching the recipe database, but I don't know which recipes would be well suited for partigyle brewing. And given the constraints with my mashtun size, I'm looking for ways to make this happen (I'm willing to have a long brew day). Thanks in advance for any advice.

Alright, does anybody have any partigyle recipe advice? I thought a red ale would be nice, but I'm willing to do just about anything. Maybe an imperial stout and some other stout? Or is reusing the Safale US-05 yeast cake the problem? I can always buy some other type of yeast while I'm at the LHBS tomorrow. I just thought it would save me the effort of making a starter and whatnot for a heavy beer. The only thing I really have my heart set on is the parti-gyle brewing process. Any feedback in this area would be much appreciated.

Sorry, but can you explain what a "parti-gyle" brew process is? I've been brewing for five years and never heard of this technique or style. Would love to be educated.

It looks like you are going to be pretty much on your own on this one - I would find a good imperial/double recipe and try with that. Find a recipe that you like and go for it. Worst case scenario is you have a big beer and a small astringent beer - but if you watch your runnings you should be fine. Don't worry about style - just get one under your belt.

And let us know how it went - I have never done one, but after a get some AG under my belt - this actually sounds like a really fun brew day.

Might I suggest an IIPA then a Red Ale? Do something like an Arrogant Bastard or Double Bastard, then follow it up with 5 gallons of the lighter second runnings using an EKG/Fuggle style for the red ale. Since the AB is red anyways, this should work out pretty good.

I think in a parti-gyle the big beer version of a red ale would probably be a wee heavy/scotch ale. For a recipe go with 92-99% english pale malt(Maris Otter, Golden Promise), 1-3% roasted barley (maybe even dark choco malt), and optional melanoidin malt up to say 5%. If you want to get crazy, boil down some of the first runnings, say 1 gallon, down to a pint and forget the melanoidin malt. Bitter with English hops it to your liking around 20-30 IBUs.

For the Red ale, maybe cap your mash with some of your favorite crystal malt if you like your beer sweeter and add English hops at 60 min for an Irish red. If you go for an American red, toss in some crystal malt for sure, and hop throughout according to your liking with some tasty American hops.

I'm planning on trying a parti-gyle brew next week. I've never done one and haven't gotten any recipes finalized yet, so no help there. My general process for recipe formulation has been:

1. Figure out what the strong beer will be, then what weak beer you can make out of the second runnings

2. Decide approximate gravities of each beer you want to make and calculate combined gravity points of each.

3. Formulate a recipe that will work for both beers, and plan the recipe so you'll hit the total combined gravity points.

Like i said, i've never actually done it, just read some stuff and worked through the process in my head.

Here's a few links i've gathered with info on the subject.
http://www.hbd.org/carboy/parti.htm
http://www.strangebrew.ca/swig/
http://brewingtechniques.com/library/backissues/issue2.2/mosher.html

Thanks for the advice, everyone. Its too bad I took my trip to the LHBS this morning before all of the comments. I decided to make a slightly beefed up version of an Irish Red Ale by adding more pale malt to this recipe https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=57576 . The only other difference (aside from all ingredients being doubled for a 10 galln batch) is I'll be reusing my yeast cake and not using WL1332. I also bought some amber LME just in case my second runnings are a bit on the weak side. I'll post back here afterwards to let you all know how it went. If it goes smoothly, I may try an Arrogant Bastard, or Wee Heavy/Scotch Ale next time.

So... how'd it go? I'm looking to try a parti-gyle, and I want to know how yours went. Any advice?

I guess I forgot about this thread. My beers came out great. The beefed up Irish red came in at 1.078 O.G. and ended up with a F.G. of 1.023. It just kept getting better and better with age. After about 6 months I was down to my last few bottles and decided to make it again. The second was was just as good.

As for the second runnings, I added 3 lbs of DME but still only came out with O.G. 1.038. It was light, but still very drinkable. The second time I made this beer I added 6 lbs of DME to give it a most respectable O.G.

I have since done a bunch of parti-gyle recipes, but I have yet to sample any of the brews from the first runnings batch since they were such big beers (my barleywine is still bulk aging, an imperial stout is aging in bottles). This technique works great for me because I get a 5 gallon batch of beer that I can drink early, and a 5 gallon batch that I can put down for a while. I recommend it.

how did you end up figuring your recipe? did you just aim for the style for the Red Ale (1st runnings brew), and take what you got with the 2nd runnings?

What other brews have you done in this manner? I'm fascinated by partigyle right now, very excited about giving it a shot some day, but currently still not too sure how to put all the pieces together.

thnx

Let's resurrect this thread...

This looks like something that would be ideal for me. I'd love to brew an IIPA and something a little mellower for everyday fare.

Anyone done a good partigyle with an IIPA as the lead?

Cheers

AT

Back