How do you dry your siphon tube.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

livewir

Reaction score
Just a quick question to everyone.

How do you dry your siphon tube and racking cane? I haven't figure out a quick way to do it.

thanks,

LiveWir

Welcome to the forum, livewir! One way to dry it off is to whip it around like you're Indiana Jones. Or, you could make sure it's uncurled and it should drip-dry. I always try to make sure the last liquid that went through the hose was sanitizer water.

EvilTOJ said:
One way to dry it off is to whip it around like you're Indiana Jones.
Now ask him what outfit he wears and music he plays while whipping it!:D

Welcome to the forum livewir.

Wild

EvilTOJ said:
Welcome to the forum, livewir! One way to dry it off is to whip it around like you're Indiana Jones. Or, you could make sure it's uncurled and it should drip-dry. I always try to make sure the last liquid that went through the hose was sanitizer water.

That scares my cat half to death. But if you rinse last with sanitizer, you're okay.

I just soak it submerged in sanitized water and use the auto siphon pump to pump the sanitized water its sitting in through it. As far as storing it till next time, I just run water through it. Let it sit on the counter for a day to dry then put it back in my brewing tub (plastic tub I keep all my gear in)

Now ask him what outfit he wears and music he plays while whipping it!

Devo! Whip it... Whip it good! :ban:

devo3.jpg

+1 for sanitize and hang to drip dry

I think the main key is to not have any junk in the tube that could mold, so get it sanitized before storage and as dry as possible. I wouldn't loose any sleep over it.

After I wash it out I just pull the inner tube out and hang it over a hook in the basement until it dries. The outer tube gets stored (opening facing down) inside my storage cabinet.

Be sure to store the parts apart. If you leave the inner tube inside the outer the seal will stay compressed. Not a good thing. ;)

I do the same thing. My siphon tube is about 5 ft long and i hold it with about 3 ft to whirl over my head. Then I swap ends and do it again. Besides getting the water/sanitizer out it makes a great 'whoooo' sound.

EvilTOJ said:

+1 on the running sanitizer through it before drying. I like the Indinana Jones idea too :D . I just don't think I'll try it. We just hang ours up after use.

Whipping it sounds like a lot more fun than my leave it on a towel to dry out on it's own method!

Back