Question about grommets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwturnernc

Reaction score
I know this is a stupid question but I have to ask. I brewed a RIS today and a brown ale off the second running. My day started at 9 and finished at 4. As I was placing the air lock in the grommet it pushed inside the bucket. Being lazy and trying to make my dinner date with the wife and kid, I sterilized another grommet and placed the air lock in place. Fast forward 5 hours later, all I could think about at dinner was the rubber grommet in my brown. Should I go fish it out and risk infection or just leave it? Will it cause any off flavor if I leave it in the beer? Ugh........

I haven't personally dropped one in, but it is apparently quite common to do and most just retrieve it when the beer is done.

Thx kh for the reply! I assumed it would be okay but i could not stop myself from questioning my judgement. The brown is bubbling away and I really don't want to risk an infection.

I was surprised at how tight the fit is between the grommet and the air lock when I started brewing a few months ago and I can see how this can happen easily. Good thing you had an extra one on hand.

I only had one on hand because I was going to change them on all of my buckets. Forgot I had purchased them until I pushed this one on my bucket.

Wouldn't you know I was cleaning out one of my buckets and tossed the water and suds out over my back deck railing and noticed a black object hitting the ground and it was my darn grommet! It's good to have a back up supply actually now that I think about it.

Back