Partigyle advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew2enjoy

Reaction score
I'm going to be brewing a big IIPA soon (1.100 OG) and I was thinking about trying a partigyle. I have read up on it a little bit and I have seen a few different ways it can be done. My plan is to brew the first batch as normal, mash and drain first runnings, sparge to get my 7.25 gal pre boil volume. Then Do another sparge and collect maybe 5 gallons for a smaller ~4 gallon batch for a pale ale. Is it really that simple or am I missing something? I figure it couldn't hurt to try! It would be nice if Beersmith had a calculator for this :(

Anyone with experience doing this feel free to chime in with experiences or advice :mug:

It seems like most people use the second runnings for the second beer. My plan was to use the third (and maybe fourth) runnings for the second beer. I guess the key is, I want the first beer (IIPA) to be a 6 gallon batch. The second beer can be 3-4 gallons, depends on what the gravity of the runnings are. The only way to find out for sure is to give it a try.

You can use 3rd or 4th runnings as long as you don't oversparge. Don't let the runnings get too high a pH or low in gravity and it'll work fine.

You can use 3rd or 4th runnings as long as you don't oversparge. Don't let the runnings get too high a pH or low in gravity and it'll work fine.

Thanks, I'll be giving it a shot this weekend. I figure at the worse I will end up with at least 3 gallons for the second beer with a decent 1.040-1.050 SG.

I just did my first partigyle over the weekend, which I did a ton of research for. Everything I read suggested NOT doing "extra" sparges. Collect your first runnings, that's your big beer. Sparge and collect your second runnings, that's your small beer.

If you're splitting the recipe in thirds where the strong beer is 1/3 of the total volume and the weak beer is 2/3 of the total volume, you can expect the strong beer to get about 1/2 of the sugars and the weak beer will get 1/2 of the sugars. So, since the first 1/3 is a smaller volume, it'll be more concentrated and stronger.

You can break it into three runnings, but it always has to tie back to your original "master" recipe. So if your bag of grains is good for 5g of 1.050 wort, you can do 1.67g of 1.075 wort and 3.33g of 1.0375 wort or 2.5g of 1.0666 wort and 2.5g of 1.0333 wort.

Read the Randy Mosher partigyle article and check out the Braukaiser partigyle simulator. Those two items REALLY helped me wrap my head around the whole thing.

Back