Partigyle Advice Needed: RIS and "session" CDA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bphelan

Reaction score
Needing advice from the recipe guru's here. I'm looking to get a Russian Imperial Stout brewed so I can age it for consumption this winter. For the RIS I've decide on marubozo's recipe. The grain bill is as follows.

17.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK Grain 81.93 %
1.50 lb Roasted Barley Grain 7.23 %
1.00 lb Special B Malt Grain 4.82 %
0.75 lb Chocolate Malt Grain 3.61 %
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine Grain 2.41 % \

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge. Hold mash temp at 151 degrees for 60 minutes.

I was then hoping do a partigyle and make "session" Cascadian Dark Ale/Black APA? Taking the idea of the session CDA they did on Brewing TV. Essentially, a lower alcoholic CDA with a bitterness similar to that of an APA and coming in around 4-5% abv.

Will this work or is the grain bill going to have too much stout character for a CDA style?

It will work but you will need to cap the mash with a roasted grain to get the color you are after. Perhaps 6 oz of dehusked carafa II or chocolate added after you collect the RIS. You could also steep it at first wort for 15mins to add the color with less flavor contribution.

Worked pretty well, although the big beer was actually a Founders Breakfast stout recipe and the CDA was just a dark beer of unknown style. Both beers are delicious but not what I was necessarily aiming for.

Back