Does this recipe sound okay?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fezzman

Reaction score
A guy at work wants me to brew a batch for him. He'll pay for the ingredients and help with the process just to learn about brewing. He's primarily a BMC drinker but he really enjoyed a few cream ales that I gave him previously.

He wants the batch to be relatively mild on flavor but have a happy abv level. I already have the Hallertau hops (thanks Monster Mash :D ) and some washed Nottingham yeast. This is based on a 3gal boil.

5lbs Light DME
2lbs two-row pale (steeped)
.25lb Carapils (steeped)
2lbs German Pilsen (steeped)
.75oz Hallertau Tradition 6% @ 60
1oz Hallertau Tradition 6% @ 10

OG 1.055
FG 1.014
IBU 30
ABV 5.3 %
SRM 3

Does this seem mild enough for a homebrew-curious drinker? The abv is a bit tame for what he was asking but I didn't want to make the flavor too heavy. Would it be bad to add 1lb Rice syrup solids? Am I too high on IBU?

Thanks

I don't think steeping plsner and 2-row is going to get you much (at least according to Palmer), except maybe some extra unfermentables and a higher FG. They need to be mashed to do any good.

As a PM recipe, the beer looks kinda bland, but I suppose that's what you're after. But if you're going to PM, I'd replace either the pils or the 2-row with some flaked maize and just make a cream ale...

I don't really have the ability to do a PM at this point. My glass top stove just doesn't hold a constant enough temperature.

The grains were not added specifically for gains. Rather, they are more of a quality control. Isn't it true that extract only beer tends to be cidery? That's what I'm trying to avoid.

fezzman said:
I don't really have the ability to do a PM at this point. My glass top stove just doesn't hold a constant enough temperature.

The grains were not added specifically for gains. Rather, they are more of a quality control. Isn't it true that extract only beer tends to be cidery? That's what I'm trying to avoid.

You should be fine with the DME.

Maybe try adding 8oz of light crystal malt, it is usually a nice addition.

Beerrific said:
You should be fine with the DME.

Maybe try adding 8oz of light crystal malt, it is usually a nice addition.

5 lbs Light DME
.5 lbs crystal 20L
.25 carapils (for the head)

...and call it a day?

OG 1.056
FG 1.014
IBU 29
ABV 5.4 %
SRM 4

6lbs Light DME
.5 lb Crystal 20L
.25 Carapils