Hawaii

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PIGMAN

Reaction score
Hello all,

Spent a couple of weeks in Hawaii earlier this month. Real nice place. They have a local brewery on the big island called the Kona Brewing Co. They brew about a dozen varieties, and you can buy a sampler at the brewery and check six of them out at a time. The beer was pretty good for the most part. I saw one of the varieties for sale in Vermont this past weekend, and interestingly enough, it was $2.00 cheaper per six-pack than in Hawaii. Hawaii usually blames its high prices on things having to be flown in, but that doesn't work in this case.:mug:

Lucky man! I see their beer in the stores every once in awhile and have considered picking up a sixer to try out. I think I will now...all beer is expensive around here, so what the heck, lol.

Lucky man! I see their beer in the stores every once in awhile and have considered picking up a sixer to try out. I think I will now...all beer is expensive around here, so what the heck, lol.

The Firerock was my favorite if you can find it. The only variety I saw in Manchester was Longboard Lager, which reminded me of a summer ale. You have some good breweries in Vt. I picked up a twelve pack of Otter Creek Black IPA to bring back to NY. Your beer prices are actually a little cheaper than NY.:mug:

I think all of their bottled beer is brewed on the mainland - like Mongrel wrote - the bottles that are sold in Hawaii are shipped from the mainland to HI. Apparently it's cheaper that way. If you buy something on tap here in HI it was brewed here in HI.

They have some great beers and sponsor the only beer festival in HI - so I'm a fan.

My wife and I were there about a month ago and I tried the Longboard Lager - not too bad. I never considered that it may be contract brewed on the mainland and then shipped back over - but prices of things there are crazy on some things it's true - probably the same applies for brewing supplies.

Just to follow up on the Red Hook comment, the Kona you see in New England is coming out of the Red Hook brewery in Portsmouth, NH.

I think all of their bottled beer is brewed on the mainland - like Mongrel wrote - the bottles that are sold in Hawaii are shipped from the mainland to HI. Apparently it's cheaper that way. If you buy something on tap here in HI it was brewed here in HI.

They have some great beers and sponsor the only beer festival in HI - so I'm a fan.

I became a fan real fast because the cruise ship I was on had three of their beers on tap. Interesting about the bottled beer being shipped over. By the way, Hawaii is beautiful, you're lucky to live there.:mug:

I loved the toasted coconut one (there's a thread for a 'clone' here somewhere).

I also tried a Ginger one on tap when i was there that was also pretty tasty.

Back