Syracuse, NY area - Group Grain Buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if i was doing all stainless i would def go after a stainless coil, but i dont think its really worth the money, plus because the wort is slightly acidic, it will keep your copper nice and new looking!

copper has a better thermal property too, remember that.... it absorbs heat much faster than SS.

Aluminum is 3x faster than steel
copper is 1.5x more than aluminum

Oh yeah that small point.... haha That should have been first on my pro copper list :) Can't believe I didn't even mention it. That is the main reason why I would just go copper - price difference isn't prohibitive.

Crisp - any time Sat is good - I know what we are brewing so I can grab stuff tomorrow or send my buddy. Just give me a text or a call if you want to be sure. i don't plan on leaving the house all day

Cidah, pm me directions, I'll be coming down 481. Is sunday cool? I think it's my only day off. If it's saturday I'll let you know.

I think i will be making it out there saturday early afternoon.

Do you ahve a scale we can use to split those bags up?

I picked up a stack of homer buckets today to bring.

Just in case, the homer buckets can hold about 25lbs perfectly, you might be able to get the 27.5lbs in there for split bags, but won't be able to get the lid on. Just take a couple big ziploc bags or an extra bucket if that's the case.

Ok cool. Actually, didn't you, cidah, and I go 1/3 on on like 4 bags, right? Haha. I got to make sure to go get my 4 homer buckets soon.
I got to start coming up with some recipes now with all this base malt and now specialties. Any recommendations for Munich and black patent? They're the 2 grains I haven't really looked up too much on, and I have half a bag of Munich I split on the last buy.

Munich you can do a ton with... but black patent is used sparely... (but so if heard dark grains never go bad or take a really really really long time if stored properly)

cidah i might be out there around 6 tomorrow if thats cool, then i have to hightail it to waterloo for jhenderson

I think i will be making it out there saturday early afternoon.

Do you ahve a scale we can use to split those bags up?

I picked up a stack of homer buckets today to bring.

Cool - we can use my scale - only goes to 5lbs, so it will take a couple weigh ins, but will do the trick.

Black patent is great in stouts and porters - I go through a lot of it. If you like those styles I have a few recipes I can pass.

I think obsidian stout uses something like 1.5 lbs of black patent or something.

Porters are probably my favorite style, and I'm loving imperial stouts right now, so yea, pass the recipes my way :)

Cidah I should be able to get out there tonight around 6 if that is cool with you.

Man now I just have to figure out some recipes that I am going to make with all this malt. It will be nice having the extra grain around though.

Cidah, a friend will be picking up my grain tonight around six or 7.

He's a fellow homebrewer and is aware of what he needs to bring.

Thanks again.

10am is fine - I am an early riser on the weekends;

will get those recipes out - the porter will take a second (from a double batch)

The obsidian stout is the can you brew it one - turned out great:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/can-you-brew-recipe-deschutes-obsidian-stout-175379/

The mean time porter can you brew it looks great, but you have to throw in everything but the kitchen sink!

Sounds good Clef and brewscambell.

Porter:

12 lbs 2Row - 86.46%
12oz - Choc Malt - 5.4%
10.1oz - Black Patent - 4.54%
8oz - Caramel 120 - 3.60%
1.5oz Tetnang 4.5% (60min) 2.35IBU
1oz Willamette 5.5% (2mins) 1.6IBU
Burton Ale Yeast (WL)

Single infusion mash at 152F for 60 minutes (17.35qts at 163.7F strike)

I usually do my mash then drain to kettle. I then add 168F water to grains stir and give a 10 minute rest and drain. After that, I add more 168F water to the put and drain it through until I get my boil volume. My 15g kettles won't let me do it any other way because the grain bill is too big and I haven't added a ball valve for sparging yet.

i never really got into porters.. i want too, that is why i would like to brew some. (i like them for what iv had) but im a hop head, so i brews just ipa after ipa after ipa with a couple other varieties in there, such as a brown, stout, hefe, and pales.

I love IPAs too, probably my favorite, but I really love a nice porter or stout in the winter. Like a cup of coffee almost, darn good!

Post your vanilla porter recipe too, always good to have another recipe to try!

I have it on my home pc. I'll do it tonight. I took my fg sample and it came out at 1.02 from 1.09..... was hoping to get 1.018 but meh that's minimal. Its smooth roastyness with a vanilla cocoa finish. Ill make sure to get you guys the recipe.

The key was the pure madagascar burbon vanilla beans I found at lories natural foods. Highest vanilin content there is. 2 beans to 5g and wow!

I am looking at like 12 -1 tomorrow afternoon if you will be around.

I think i will give that Porter a try too, that is one style i have not brewed yet. I am picking up most of the ingredients tomorrow anyways.

just got home... and unloaded! ah.... now time to figure out what to do with all these rice hulls!

Cidah thanks again.... and i didnt think about it but i should have threw you a couple dollars for those trash bags.

Cool glad it is all working out.

Rustbucket - you kidding? Trash bags I can pass out for free ! ha

maybe :p haha...

btw i made it all the way home unloaded my car.. very last bag i snagged the rye bag on the side of my car closing the door, and guess what put a small hole in it and spilled some :(... haha

if it wasnt so cold out i would pull the car out of the garage and start to build my brew stand :(.... so that i can use some of this grain that i bought!

Just wanted everyone to see the 2011 DirtCar im running.

ForumRunner_20110326_140510.jpg

Back