Igloo Maxcold as mash tun?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heywolfie1015

Reaction score
I have an Igloo Ice Cube Maxcold at home that I'm thinking about converting into a mash tun. (Here's a link.)

Has anyone ever used one of these? If not, do you see any major problems? Off the bat, the main problem I see is that the drain comes out the back near the wheels and is fairly high (about 5-6" off the ground). When I drain off water in the cooler, I always have to tilt it to get all the liquid out. I would think that would make lautering and sparging difficult since it would possibly disturb the grain bed?

I have an Igloo Ice Cube Maxcold at home that I'm thinking about converting into a mash tun. (Here's a link.)

Has anyone ever used one of these? If not, do you see any major problems? Off the bat, the main problem I see is that the drain comes out the back near the wheels and is fairly high (about 5-6" off the ground). When I drain off water in the cooler, I always have to tilt it to get all the liquid out. I would think that would make lautering and sparging difficult since it would possibly disturb the grain bed?

How much is left behind? It's not a problem if you adjust your numbers for it. Beersmith has a deadspace adjustment in it.

I used this one this weekend and had about a 1/2 gallon deadspace.

I did equip it with a manifold.

In 55°F ambient temp I had no temp drop over 60 minutes.

You could use a piece of food-grade tubing from the spigot hole on the inside of the cooler to the bottom of the cooler where your manifold or other filtering device is. Then make sure the tubing opening on the outside of the cooler is below the bottom of the cooler. This should create a vacuum for you and take care of most of the dead space issue.

I used this one this weekend and had about a 1/2 gallon deadspace.

I did equip it with a manifold.

In 55°F ambient temp I had no temp drop over 60 minutes.

That's great to hear. So, did you have the manifold on the slanted portion of the cooler over the drain? That was another issue I've been thinking about as I look at its dimensions.

This thing is a beast at temperature maintenance. I've come back to it a few days after a big party and still had a solid ice pack inside.

You could use a piece of food-grade tubing from the spigot hole on the inside of the cooler to the bottom of the cooler where your manifold or other filtering device is. Then make sure the tubing opening on the outside of the cooler is below the bottom of the cooler. This should create a vacuum for you and take care of most of the dead space issue.

See above poster, it works just as if you're syphoning.

And this is why I love HBT. Common sense wisdom for us newbs. That sounds perfect. Thanks very much, guys.

That's great to hear. So, did you have the manifold on the slanted portion of the cooler over the drain? That was another issue I've been thinking about as I look at its dimensions.

This thing is a beast at temperature maintenance. I've come back to it a few days after a big party and still had a solid ice pack inside.

Wait, my cooler is round. Is yours?

100_2637.jpg

That is what I had. I made the mistake of slotting the effluent portion, and I should make an elbow as opposed to slanting and deadspace should be minimal.

I have this same cooler and have only brewed one batch with it. I lost 1 deg over the 60 minutes. I left the factory spigot and put my own valve on the front. I use a copper manifold for batch sparging. I measured the dead space by filling up with water and letting drain. I had 1 qt left in the bottom. If you got the DIY skills I would use this cooler and put spigot in the front or do as some of the other posters said and make manifold but some tubing from factory spigot down to the manifold.

IMG_0568_small.jpg

IMG_0572_small.jpg

Back