Use of Pectic Enzyme

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluespook

Reaction score
I have a month in fermentation (and it's still going, be it slowly, however) on a 5 gallon mead. 13.5 pounds of orange blossom honey. I have 7 pounds of cling peaches in the freezer and want to add them sometime late next week. If I want to end up with as clear a finish as possible, should I/can I add pectic enzyme when I add the peaches? How about the need for acid, say, acid blend?

pectic enzyme is always a good idea with fruit, but any acid should be added at bottling time because its something you need to add to taste.

I don't think pectic enzyme can ever hurt your brew. I think peaches would be a fruit to really make a brew cloudy also, so I would go ahead with the recommended amount on the container.
K1 is right about the acid blend too, its totally based on taste.

I have a month in fermentation (and it's still going, be it slowly, however) on a 5 gallon mead. 13.5 pounds of orange blossom honey. I have 7 pounds of cling peaches in the freezer and want to add them sometime late next week. If I want to end up with as clear a finish as possible, should I/can I add pectic enzyme when I add the peaches? How about the need for acid, say, acid blend?
Any time I use fruit, I also use pectic enzyme; with peaches, it'll really help with clearing, as peaches (and apricots) turn to mush after a month or 2 in a carbouy of mead. Sounds like a nice, delicately balanced melomel you're making, I'd do a taste test on a sample for the addition of acid blend & if required, add it at bottling; though I wouldn't think you'd need it... Out of curiosity, what yeast are you using? Regards, GF.

As to yeast--I used Lalvin D-47...2 packets. I have it in a fermenting pail and have not peeked at it yet, but it's still working. Fermented really hard and fast for a few days, but has slowed. I used 2 packets because I wanted to...heck, I used 2 because I had 2 and seemed like a good idea at the time.

and at this point oxygen is a good idea for the fermentation anyways.

um... no no no.

in fact let me re-emphasize that:
no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no

unless of coarse you like cardboard tasting mead with the possibility of a strong aroma and taste of vinegar.

NNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dont introduce oxygen to the fermentation, the only time its good it at the beginning, ie 1-2days, when aerating the must will allow the yeast to get going sooner. not a month into the process.

and the fruit wont dry out since liquid kinda forms around objects and since fruit is porous when its surrounded by liquid it doesnt dry out.

You probably want to give it a few stirs every so often to prevent the fruit drying out on the top of the bucket. and at this point oxygen is a good idea for the fermentation anyways.

I think you were thinking that this was at the beginning of the fermention. However the OP said he made this up a month ago. A month into the fermentation the mead does not want any more O2. This will cause problems.

If you add fruit in the primary you will want to stir the fruit into the must and add additional O2 to the must for the first few days. The CO2 produced by the fermentation will cause the fruit to float and the top can dry out. The fruit needs to be mixed back in during this time.

Your best way to add the peaches is to put the peaches in a new carboy. Rack the mead onto the peaches. Dissolve the pectin enzyme in a small amount of the mead or water then add that to the rest of the batch. Leave this sit for a while (1-6months) then rack it off into a new carboy and let it clear.

Craig

As to yeast--I used Lalvin D-47...2 packets. I have it in a fermenting pail and have not peeked at it yet, but it's still working. Fermented really hard and fast for a few days, but has slowed. I used 2 packets because I wanted to...heck, I used 2 because I had 2 and seemed like a good idea at the time.
Using the D-47, I'm asuming you're shooting for an even 12% ABV in your finished product & just on the dry side, yes? Or were you planning on the yeast continuing the fermentation on the peaches & going to 13-14% ABV & finishing just on the cusp betwen sweet & dry? Wish I could find some orange blossom honey that wouldn't cost me an arm & a leg to ship; not a lot of orange groves here in MT. Regards, GF.

Back