bottles gushing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopleaf

Reaction score
I have a fruit beer which I naturally carbed with corn sugar.. I think I used a bit too much because the beer really foams when I open it. I don't think it's infected because the beer is good...

is there any way to combat this? I was thinking of opening the caps a little to let some pressure out??

Hopleaf said:
I was thinking of opening the caps a little to let some pressure out??

thats the only thing i can think of... slightly bend one side of the cap up until you hear the hiss, bend it up a couple more times then let it sit for a minute before you take the cap the rest of the way off.

Before you open any more you need to get all the bottles as cold as possible without freezing. The coldness will make it so it doesn't gush as much.

Sanitize your bottles before opening and place a pot underneath. If any does gush down the sides you can catch it in a pot then serve it in a pitcher to your guests.

Gusher infections do not always taste percievebly bad. If it is a fruit beer there is a good chance you did not pasteurize the fruit fully.

As long as it tastes fine, drink away. An infection won't make it poisonous. Like Homebrewer 99 said, chill those bottles really well and have that glass ready underneath.

There is a good amount of sediment in the bottles and if I open and pour it fast enough I can get about half a glass of good beer. The carbonation then gets so fast all the sediment is stirred up and it's not good. It's a shame too because it's really clear, has great head and tastes great.

I wonder if I could pour through some paper towels or something to get it out.

Last time I ever put fruit in the primary, that's for certain.

Are these at risk of exploding? It was done fermenting but there is continued bacterial or yeast activity right?

Not to reply to myself but I chilled these down and they don't gush at all now.. I think before it was mediocre cold because I was impatient...

And they're good, a bit acidic, but good. Happy day and todays her birthday when we figured it out.. woot :ban:

Back