Vinegar smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norlin

Reaction score
Brewed up some of Edwort's Bee Cave Brewery Robust Porter. Placed it in a glass primary and a plastic primary bucket. The glass primary I racked to a secondary to free up the primary for another brew. Today I go to bottle, the glass one smells nice and the FG is pretty good. I open the plastic one and immediately the room fills with a rancid vinegar smell. Looking inside, there's stuff floating, but it looks just like yeast rafts and nothing out of the ordinary. So I take a gravity reading, and it's exactly the same as the beer that came out of the glass carboy. The only difference is that the stuff in the plastic smells NASTY! Basically, the glass was in the primary for about a week and half, then in secondary for another week and half. The one in the plastic was in there for the full three weeks. I'll upload a pic of the plastic floaties in a minute, but it doesn't look infected to me.

Here's a picture
IMG_1333.jpg

The glass one tastes good, once I finish bottling that, I'll dare a taste of the plastic one...I'm betting it tastes good and I'll bottle it, but we'll see in a few minutes

Verdict: It tastes good! Even begged and managed to get the wife to try it and she said it tastes fine too. I wasn't sure if I had just gotten used to the vinegar I was smelling so wanted a second opinion. Guess the fumes just built up in the head-space of the bucket and let out a huge whiff when it was first opened.

Verdict: It tastes good! Even begged and managed to get the wife to try it and she said it tastes fine too. I wasn't sure if I had just gotten used to the vinegar I was smelling so wanted a second opinion. Guess the fumes just built up in the head-space of the bucket and let out a huge whiff when it was first opened.

Probably that. Glad it worked out. Keep us posted on how it turns out.:mug:

Back