Priming amount help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VAShooter

Reaction score
I brewed Ed's Bee Cave Heffe. I fermented about 5.5 + Gallons. I just racked to my bottling bucket and ended up with 5 gallons on the nose. I used Tasty brew and it states that I need to use 8.6oz of dextrose. Is that right? Seems like a lot. :confused:

I do NOT like hefeweizens, but I also don't like gushing bottles! I'd use 5 ounces of priming sugar, which may be less than a "true" style would be, but would still be adequate carbonation and no risk of bottle bombs or gushers!

Thanks for the links Revvy. Now I may have another issue. Many posted about using thicker bottles. I've got a variety of thinner and darker ( maybe thicker, not sure) bottles.

I noticed one guy said he did 6oz and had no issues with bombs and it was carbed up nicely. I've never used more than 5oz so naturally i'm a bit concerned about bottle bombs now.

I feel like I need atleast 6 but using almost 9 oz is making my head spin.

Any advice from the pro's (aside from 'start kegging') is appreciated!

How'd you feel about drinking a bunch of belgians, or even sierra nevada right now? I'm not a hefe expert, like yoop I can't stand them, but I'd be a little nervous carbing in a 12 ounce bottle over 3.5 volumes.

3.5 gives me 7oz so maybe I'll split the difference and go with 6 or 6.5 and cross my fingers. I'll store it in the garage incase they start blowing up. This is my first heffe brew. I'm not a HUGE fan but think they're ok. I was looking for a beer to enjoy on a 95degree day. Hope this works.

I am racking my bavarian hefe tonight into 22 oz bottles. This is my first brew and don't want it to be flat as well as don't want any bottle bombs. It is 4 gallons.

According to the calculator it looks like right around 5 is what is recommended.

Sorry to jump in on your thread yet with It being a very similar question wanted to post here.

Thanks

I am racking my bavarian hefe tonight into 22 oz bottles. This is my first brew and don't want it to be flat as well as don't want any bottle bombs. It is 4 gallons.

According to the calculator it looks like right around 5 is what is recommended.

Sorry to jump in on your thread yet with It being a very similar question wanted to post here.

Thanks

As discussed above, it looks like it is not about the style that you want to achieve, but whether or not your bottles will be able to handle the pressure.

No problem jumping the thread. I went with the thought of better safe than sorry. I had 5 gallons and decided to go with 5.75oz sugar (tasty brew called for 8.6. I cant image that being flat. I only fermented for 11 days (gave it 1 extra than the recipe called for and waited for yeast rafts to drop). I'm storing them in the garage just incase. Our weather is in the low 70's during the days and about 60 for the nighly lows.

I did a bit more research today and folks seem to have success with 5-6oz.

Out of curiosity, which calculator did you use and what CO2 volumes did it default to for a heffe?

Back