Hop pellets vs. Whole

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdauria

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Question, doing my first home brew tomorrow and just noticed in Joy of Brewing that 1/4 oz. of whole hops is equal to 3 oz. of pellets. I'm doing the Dead Guy Ale clone from Beer Captured that I found on this site. It calls for 1.5 oz of hops and that's what I got in pellets. Did I need 16 oz of pellets instead? If so, then looks like I will be pushed back to a different brew day.

Um, I think you have that backwards. Pellet hops contribute about 10% more aa than whole hops. Not really noticeable. An ounce of hops is an ounce of hops.

Thanks everyone! As soon as posted my question I read it again and the light went on...the picture was showing the contrast between 1/4 ounce of whole hops vs. 3 ounces of pellets, not stating that you need X amount if using pellets. That's what I get for reading after having a few beers! LOL!

Well spotted. The comparison is for volume. 3 ounces of pellets will fit in the same amount of cubic space as whole hops flowers.

Boy, am I glad you spotted that before you brewed!

:mug:

Bob

P.S. Good luck on your first brew and HAVE FUN!

Karl,

Eh? Since when? I didn't get the memo.

That may be your rule, but it's not mine. I've never heard of it. In fact, I rarely use pellets. But I don't specify whole hops.

Respectfully,

Bob

Back