New manifold, efficiency boost

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmo88

Reaction score
I brewed a batch of ipa today with my new cpvc manifold. The new manifold is the same as the one pictured in this tread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/cooler-mash-tun-128216/

Before, I used a SS braid and batch sparged. But with my new manifold, I was able to do Biermuncher's hybrid fly sparge technique. With my old system I never reached mash efficiency above 62%, which has been about twenty batches. Today I got 74% and my ipa has an OG 1.070. Good thing I had extra hops to make up for the higher-than-expected gravity.

I'm so stoked about the new system and sparge technique. I always felt awful taking that first PBG reading after my old batch sparges. This is great.

I'm guessing you had a lot of deadspace due to a high bulkhead. Big deadspace is a real efficiency killer with batch sparging.

I actually have more now. About a half gallon. Before I could tip the tun toward the ball valve to get the wort out below the bulkhead. That was about a quart. Tipping doesn't work with a manifold.

Back