Help with hardware choices!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So this is getting way more complicated than I'd originally intended. I want to have 5 taps on my keezer: Four for beer and 1 for soda. My thought is that all four beer taps can be at the same pressure (let me know if I should rethink this), and the soda needs to be at a higher pressure.

So as far as hardware goes should I do this:
Dual pressure regulator with one output sent to a four way manifold for the 4 beer taps and the other sent to a two way manifold which will handle the soda/force carbing duties.

Or should I buy a 3 or 4 secondary regulator set so that I can control each beer line directly vs serve all 4 beer at the same pressure?

Couple more questions about other hardware:
1) Are chrome/brass faucets ok to use (maybe change them out 1 at a time over a year or two to ss? to save on upfront cost)
2) How do I determine the shank size I need?
3) If you had to make the decision over knowing what you know now would you go with towers or individual faucets/shanks on a keezer?

Thanks!

i run all 5 of my kegs of a rail manifold, they all get the same pressure, i dont have a problem with it purists may, but what can you do, its not worth the money unless you have it to spend to get a bunch of pressure regulators

I'd get the dual pressure regulator and upgrade to perlick faucets for your beer. I've had some foaming issues that I kind a got under control. Last week I upgraded to perlicks, and the poor is just so much more controlled and smooth. You can always add another regulator body to your existing one. I forget what they are called. CO2 Regulator, Add a body, Chudnow Economy Brand

I have 2 cheapo faucets and 2 perlicks. I regret getting the 2 cheapos, but regulator not so much.

As far as shanks, for 2x4 or 2x8 collars, you can use a 4" or 5 " shank, which are pretty standard.

keeping them all at the same pressure is fine, as long as you aren't picky about your carbonation levels. i tried keeping a weizenbock (3 volumes) and an ESB (1.5 volumes) both serving at 7 psi- fine for the ESB but the weizenbock is too flat after a few weeks

i would say, if you can afford it, going with multiple regulators is definitely the answer- but if you plan on upgrading your whole kegerator and system, i would probably say wait until you build the dream machine

I plan on upgrading to a 2 regulator set up. One regulator to run higher carbonation beers and soda, the other will be split for my remaining ales to all keep the same psi. Unless you want every single beer at a different pressure, a couple regulators should be enough.

i am almost positive that i got 3" shanks with my 2x6 collar.. and it fits perfectly. certainly not too small and definately not too long.

I just said screw it and went with a manifold as I dont think it is that important to me that the beer be able to be individually pressured. And i did all perlicks because of the constant recomendations to do so.

Latest posts

Back