To much head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew2

Reaction score
Why does my beer have so much head? It's been bottle for month now

I used what came with my kit. When I bottled I got 42 bottles then the 50 someone bottles they said I should have gotten dont know if they make a different.

42 bottles is pretty weak for a standard 5 gallon batch which I'm assuming the kit planned for. So it could be a little rich on the priming sugar.

Also, how long did you ferment for? Did you take hydrometer readings? Do you know if it was a 4 oz or 5 oz packet of priming sugar (I have seen both in 5 Gal kits). How long did you refrigerate it before opening?

Too much residual sugar from the ferment or too much priming sugar could cause it. Additionally you could get gushers (think mentos and diet coke) if you do not chill it for long enough (i find cooling for 24 hours minimum is a good idea) the sediment in the bottle can provide nuculeation sites and make for a lot of head.

I'm not sure about the sugar. I ferment for 3weeks. It was my first batch and I didnt take hydrometer reading.

Is this an extract kit? If so what kind of extract did you use? Also, was it all extract or did you steep some grains as well?

I found on a couple early batches that the extracts I used already contained some specialty grains. Then steeping more specialty grains it seemed to have too many. There was never an issue with a gusher, and if I drank from the bottle it was amazing. If I poured to a glass, there was a very thick head that would hold up the bottle cap and didn't go away. It was roughly half beer and half foam no matter how carefully I poured.

Then again maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. I'm pretty new.

You need to look up your gravity readings. See if you were on target. OG and FG are pretty crucial numbers. Like others have said before. I'm leaning on the fact your beer wasn't quite finished before you bottled it. OR you went a little heavy priming sugar.

Either way, I'd keep it chilled and drink it up. If it gets warm you may pop a few bottles. Been there done that... LOL

But too much head...its never a truly bad thing is it? ;)

Clever. Seemed familiar. First thought deja vu but nope...

head-59753.png

When I bottled I got 42 bottles then the 50 someone bottles they said I should have got.

Im going to go out on a limb and say too much priming sugar.
48-50 ish bottles per 5g batch and you were almost 100oz shy for the amount of priming sugar included...that would do it right there.

Two other questions, are you pouring fast and how long have they been in the fridge before being opened?

Back