Kudos to Ward Labs - Water Report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orion2598

Reaction score
Just wanted to post that they got back to me with my water report a day or two after receiving it. If you have been putting off getting a water report, for the $15 it is well worth it! http://www.wardlab.com

BTW, for those of you interested, here is the well water on the far west side of Madison, WI.

pH 7.4
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est 434
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 0.72
7.7 / 7.8
Cations / Anions, me/L
ppm
Sodium, Na 6
Potassium, K <1
Calcium, Ca 81
Magnesium, Mg 40
Total Hardness, CaCO 369
Nitrate, NO 3 -N 12.2 (UNSAFE)
Sulfate, SO -S 6
Chloride, Cl 25
Carbonate, CO <1
Bicarbonate, HCO 354
Total Alkalinity, CaCO 290

Yep, you'll definately need to treat that water for light beers. Our water here is even MORE alkaline than yours. CO3 = 459! and we have less calcium and magnesium.

And thank for posting the good report on ward labs. I think several guys here have used them.

Cheers. :mug:

Cool. Did they send you info about the nitrate? If not, its safe for adults, but keep it away from infants - as high nitrate levels can cause what is called "Blue Baby Syndrome".

We do have kids but use bottled water for them. Not sure I want to be boiling the well water though and concentrating the nitrates even more for the beer.

After my first AG batch went bad with all well water, I used RO water and added a gallon or two of well water for the minerals. I also cheat and use 5.2, but things seem to work good now. Brewed a pilsner and a porter with that strategy and it seems to work.

Back